Severum Breeding Projects.

slothz

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2016
Hey all this past week has been a little funny in my tanks ive had 3 different pairs of fish all spawn in the last 9 days. Last Thursday a gold and a red shoulder paired up and spawned on a rock in my 180 gal tank which came as a shock to me because i have 1 male and 1 female red shoulder in that tank but i guess he likes the gold better. I didn't know they could even breed and couldn't find any additional info about what the fry would like look someone posted on my other thread and said they will probably be red shoulders. They ended up freaking out and eating all the eggs after i turned the light out but it was there first batch so not surprised they ate them hopefully in a month or two they will have had some experience and can get it right i plan on moving them to another tank if they continue to breed.

20170718_142718.jpg

20170718_174350.jpg

Reactions: YankeeJack

slothz

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2016
The next day in a separate tank my mated pair of red shoulders spawned i was beginning to think they wouldnt after being moved around so much but these guys are excellent parents and have had multiple batches of fry and got them to free swimming stage in my brothers 220 gal tank full of other severums and geos so pretty easy for them to raise them in there own tank. They became free swimming this thursday and ive been feeding instant baby brine from a lfs and they seem to love it. Ill probably try to move the fry out at the end of next week into a 75 gal grow out tank because currently they are in a 65 tall and the parents in breeding mode poop out babies every 3 weeks like clockwork in the past.

20170721_200250.jpg

20170727_212412.jpg

slothz

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2016
The third pair of severums are 2 red dots unfortunately the female mated with the lesser looking male of the 2 i have but c'est la vie. They were slightly better at keeping the eggs alive over night but when i turned the tank lights on and then went to work i came back and they were gone. Ive been waiting for this pair to spawn for awhile because the female has been doing mating dances with my 2 males for nearly a year. Guess she finally made her decision much to my disappointment.

20170727_212746.jpg

20170727_213046.jpg

slothz

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2016
Update for anyone paying attention that could tell me what is wrong. fry are stuck in a corner and mom wont let dad near them is he trying to eat them? normally after i turn the light on they move around the tank

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Update for anyone paying attention that could tell me what is wrong. fry are stuck in a corner and mom wont let dad near them is he trying to eat them? normally after i turn the light on they move around the tank
Are the fry free swimming? Or in a pile?
I have had some cichlid moms become hyper protective to the point that they won't let dad near them. It's normal protective behavior.

slothz

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2016
Are the fry free swimming? Or in a pile?
I have had some cichlid moms become hyper protective to the point that they won't let dad near them. It's normal protective behavior.
They have been free swimming for 5 days and eating instant baby brine shrimp. Every day has been basically the same up until today where I turn off the light and the fry swim to mom, she sticks them all in whatever crevice she feels like for the night and when I turn the light on they "wake up" within 30 mins I feed then some more and they start swimming around the tank. Just today mom has kept them locked into that corner for over an hour and a half while chasing dad away like crazy

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If you want to make sure you have some. I would set up a small tank to raise some in. Simple set up with a sponge filter and heater is all you need. You can use a siphon hose to catch the fry with out netting.

slothz

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2016
Yeah I wanted to try and raise them and sell them at some point. I figured I would need to strip the fry and some point but was unsure of when I should do it. I suppose now would be as good a time as any and then just let the parents do whatever til they are ready to spawn again.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I always take about half as soon as they become free swimming. I always leave the other half for the parents to practice with. It usually makes for better future spawns

slothz

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2016
alright i dont currently have the tank space yet but i plan on setting up 2 75s for future fry i guess this batch might end up being lost if they don't end up surviving until Wednesday when the tanks are set up

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store