Severum breeding?

ChuckCichlid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Henderson, NV
I have 2 turquoise severum. 5 inch female and 4 inch male. The female is larger and becoming more aggressive. Chasing, nipping and now flicking tail fin in the male's face. They only been in my tank for 2 weeks now. Is it possible they are getting ready to breed already?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here is an excerpt from the book "The Cichlid Fish, Natures grand experiment in Evolution" by Dr George Barlow, a leader in cichlid .
research.
"Once in close proximity, each(cichlid) turns off presenting its side to the opponent so the two fish become aligned, side by side, sometimes head next to head, and sometimes head to tail. Now all fins are fully spread. Periodically each fish opens its mouth wide, it passes deep undulations down its body while braking with its pectoral fins to resist the forward force. this behavior is called tail beating, and it may be done in a forceful snap-whip fashion. The result is an imposing display and that washes the opponent with a hefty flow of water that may be perceived as sound."
I have seen this used to judge suitability of a proper mate, or to judge whether to fight or flee with a rival.
Your female may be trying to decide if the male is robust enough to make it worthwhile for her to breed with him.

ChuckCichlid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Henderson, NV
Here is an excerpt from the book "The Cichlid Fish, Natures grand experiment in Evolution" by Dr George Barlow, a leader in cichlid .
research.
"Once in close proximity, each(cichlid) turns off presenting its side to the opponent so the two fish become aligned, side by side, sometimes head next to head, and sometimes head to tail. Now all fins are fully spread. Periodically each fish opens its mouth wide, it passes deep undulations down its body while braking with its pectoral fins to resist the forward force. this behavior is called tail beating, and it may be done in a forceful snap-whip fashion. The result is an imposing display and that washes the opponent with a hefty flow of water that may be perceived as sound."
I have seen this used to judge suitability of a proper mate, or to judge whether to fight or flee with a rival.
Your female may be trying to decide if the male is robust enough to make it worthwhile for her to breed with him.
While I was getting ready to do a water change today I seen she's guarding her eggs. I guess the Male was tuff enough lol

Reactions: Jexnell and BIG-G

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
That’s cool and more than likely they spawned. But there is also the chance that she was ready to release her eggs regardless of his position in this affair.
Just keep an eye on them you will know soon enough if they are fertile.

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store