Severums with ick

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Like 5 days ago i started noticing small white dots on my gold severum and oscar which was moved to a quarantine tank 2 days before due to damage on his skin. Oscar soon got full of white dots and i treated him with paraguard for 5 days and he’s completely fine now. I’ve been treating my main tank with my 2 severums but they’re still not better. They are full of white spots and some white things are coming out of their skin. Their poop is fine so it’s not internal. My red severum stays at the bottom of the tank but eats normal somewhat. My gold severum flashes himself to rocks, filter, and glass. He just stays on the top of the tank near the heater most of the time. i bumped the temp to 83 degrees and i’ve been treating with paraguard. I don’t know what else to do. They’ve been like this for like a week now and red is lethargic and the gold just stays on one spot in the top. Any tips?

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Like 5 days ago i started noticing small white dots on my gold severum and oscar which was moved to a quarantine tank 2 days before due to damage on his skin. Oscar soon got full of white dots and i treated him with paraguard for 5 days and he’s completely fine now. I’ve been treating my main tank with my 2 severums but they’re still not better. They are full of white spots and some white things are coming out of their skin. Their poop is fine so it’s not internal. My red severum stays at the bottom of the tank but eats normal somewhat. My gold severum flashes himself to rocks, filter, and glass. He just stays on the top of the tank near the heater most of the time. i bumped the temp to 83 degrees and i’ve been treating with paraguard. I don’t know what else to do. They’ve been like this for like a week now and red is lethargic and the gold just stays on one spot in the top. Any tips?
Also been doing daily/ every other day water changes 50%

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Post some pics and post ur water parameters.

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Post some pics and post ur water parameters.
23EC288F-D939-4A1C-AA8E-6C170418BD73.jpeg0F02A5FC-992E-4F53-8BD1-8575BE7B2830.jpegCouldn’t get a better picture of the red but he’s covered with white spots. Ran out of test strips a couple days ago and my testing kit is arriving in 3 days. I don’t think the water is the problem. Tank has been running for 3 weeks plus the filter cartridge came from a well cycled tank. Water changes every day/ every other day. They’ve been completely healthy and fine before the ich started. In fact they were having breeding rituals and pairing signs.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like ich. Keep treating with the paragaurd. It’ll take some time to clear up.

Reactions: tlindsey

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Unfortunately my gold severum past away. Before he past he started swimming upside down for a couple of hours that confused me a little. I think my sevs got a secondary bacterial infection because there was cotton like things on their skin. Anyways that’s very sad i was really attached. I took out my red severum and put him in a 10 gallon QT and i’m currently treating him there. I sanitized my tank with bleach and i’m going to start the re cycle tomorrow. I have a medium cartridge that is from a cycled 20 gallon. Is putting that cartridge into my Large filter going to jump start the cycling process? And if so when can i start adding fish back? I’m purchasing tetra safe start aswell and putting that in tomorrow along side dechlorinator(stress coat) and stress zyme.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It should help to start the cycle again. I’d check the water to make sure it’s properly cycled but can add right away if the numbers look good.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The only way to truly know when to add new fish is to do a fishless cycle and use liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Bleaching the tank won't kill the ich that is still in the egg stage.

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
The only way to truly know when to add new fish is to do a fishless cycle and use liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Bleaching the tank won't kill the ich that is still in the egg stage.
Before bleaching, i put enormous amount of salt, and put the heat up. I boiled all the substrate and decor. I rinsed the tank well and will be doing a water test before adding fish. My tank is currently empty right now because i wanted the tank to dry out. I’m putting water in tonight with the cartridge. Going to water tests and hopefully the cycle doesn’t take long. I’ll be putting my oscar in there after it’s cycling is done. And probably doing daily water changes for a week just in case

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Before bleaching, i put enormous amount of salt, and put the heat up. I boiled all the substrate and decor. I rinsed the tank well and will be doing a water test before adding fish. My tank is currently empty right now because i wanted the tank to dry out. I’m putting water in tonight with the cartridge. Going to water tests and hopefully the cycle doesn’t take long. I’ll be putting my oscar in there after it’s cycling is done. And probably doing daily water changes for a week just in case
You need to add ~1ppm ammonia source to populate the bacteria. Putting fish food in takes a few days or so to be turned into ammonia, so it needs to be liquid ammonia, unless you have ammonia in your tap water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store