Sexing clown loaches

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Well, I can't wait to see in a year or two if the rest of what I consider females will turn gravid....

I wonder thought, also a bit worried about the gravid female, it must not be a good thing if she never lays the eggs she's carrying. She's been like that for a few months now, not absorbing them back....

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Watched those a while back, interesting for sure, but I would not recommend amateurs squeeze/rub their fish to sex them. It will be fairly obvious in due time.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, I used to do that to native fish when I was a young and stupid kid. If the fish is in pre-spawning condition it definitely works, but in the wrong hands no doubt doesn't feel very pleasant to the fish.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Interesting thread. I got 4 clown Loaches about a year ago, that were all no more than a quarter inch apart in size. Now, two are noticeable bigger and taller than the other two. I adopted a Loach that's about the same size as the bigger duo, but I can't even guess if it's a make or female. I guess I'll have a better idea as it grows.

Here a pic from the other day. I think the top is a female and the bottom is a male. MVIMG_20190414_205236.jpgMVIMG_20190414_210150.jpg

This sort of shows the size difference:
MVIMG_20190415_231956.jpg

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Bump this one

Something I feel as if I have briefly noticed when adding other loaches to an existing pack, some of the shapes have changed , and I have typically just chalked it up to being fed more regularly. But now that I think of it, I may have a high concentration of females. Even some of my smaller ones are pretty chubby, while older bigger ones have less of the bulge.

Reactions: Coryloach and RD.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
But now that I think of it, I may have a high concentration of females.
Sorry for not responding earlier. I've been really busy lately.

It is quite possible you have a higher female ratio. I reckon most of the fish we get for some reason are females.
From my first group of 5 I am now certain I have 4 females and 1 boy. 3 of the females became egg bound, not even that long ago, for the first time. I got them in early 2012, so almost 8 years ago but only being egg bound visibly now. They may have carried eggs before but you could not tell, the belly was flat.

I reckon that if they start developing an arch on the back early on, they're females. Eventually those that develop that way pack on size both length and girth wise. The ones without an arch just grow longer and stay slender and slim, and I reckon they are males. I could be wrong of course, but I am yet to see a slender loach without an arch develop the "egg belly". I'll report in a few more years :)

Please keep an eye and let us know.

Reactions: Matteus and RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store