Sexing help needed for L236 SW/SY

CeeReeOoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2011
Minnesota
Anyone able to identify the sex of these plecos please? BAND_No BS Plecos and Tropical Fish._2022-11-29-112425_08~2.jpgBAND_No BS Plecos and Tropical Fish._2022-11-29-112425_06~2.jpgBAND_No BS Plecos and Tropical Fish._2022-11-29-112424_04~2.jpgBAND_No BS Plecos and Tropical Fish._2022-11-29-112424_02~2.jpg

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Really terrible with sexing hypans, and most smaller species are very difficult to sex, but
4-female
3-male
2-female
1-male
would be my guess; the people over at PlanetCatfish would be able to answer the question a lot better, being more experienced in such matters.

Not sure if I'm allowed to ping him, but TwoTankAmin TwoTankAmin , being practically a legend in the zebra pleco community, might be able to provide a more conclusive answer.

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
I know the OP and have sold him some of my fish.

@ CeeReeOoo CeeReeOoo
Are those fish from me?

I am pretty sure #3 and $4 are FM based on tube shape and lack of much odontile growth on the flank. As a rule the female tube is more blob shaped and the male's is more pointy. For #2 and #1, the pic of the tube is less clear. It sort of looks FM but their flanks have a lot of odintile growth. When the males clash and scrape sides, this is why we see those patchy white splotdhes on their sides and sometimes this may be reddened or worse.

Also all four have wide rounded bodied behing the head and that is usally a good sign for being a FM. Here is what you can try if you have the space. Set up two each into their own space, Proved some wood and rick work as cover and also two caves which are not too close together. If you have two males they will each claim a cave. if one is a fm you may see here in a cave now and then, but often you will see here hiding under a piece of wood or rock.

One last comment here. SOme folks spawn plecos in pairs, some use reverse trios and some (myself included) prefer to work with groups. My groups can be as small as 6 and and as many as 15. But I usually only see two deifferent lales do most of the spawning and the females fight for the privilege of being the mother. There are a few case where a third male night spawn, but I have not seen that a lot.

I have always believed in letting the fish decide who spawns with whom rather than me. This is one reason I have oever line bred anything to try and fix a trait.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store