shallow pond help

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
I am looking for a pond/tub about 300 or 400 gallon . I want to keep it at about 2 feet deep for easy viewing from a couch. Some place to relax and smoke while watching some monster cats.
:headbang2

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
In ground pond or above ground? Either way you might want it a bit bigger because a 350g 2' deep is only 5' on each side so if you are sitting 10 feet away with your head at 3' from the ground wth an inground straight sided pond you won't be able to see the bottom. Above ground will be worse. How much money do you want to spend?

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
It will be an above ground pond ill will biuld a frame around it for support it is just an idea really. would it better to just build a tank out of acrylic abt

2' D x 5' W x 8' L . that would be awesome .Is it possible?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
Acrylic would be expensive and relatively fragile for out side, a watering trough of poly would be cheaper, or like Mikestack said, a wood frame and a pond liner would work. It would also look good and could be painted or stained as you like it.
For a sturdy pond holding water 2' deep that has outside dimensions of 5'x8', approx 580 gallons you will need;
(2) 2x4 @ 8'
(1) 2x4 @ 10'
(5) 2x6 @ 10'
(9) 2x6 @ 8'
(2) 4x4 @ 8'
(1) pond liner sheet at least 10'x13'
(1 or 2) rolls of pond liner padding
and about 4 cubic feet of play sand

A little effort and some woodscrews with the above and you will have a very solid pond, you will still need a pump and filter though.

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
I was just looking at something on a web site abt biulding a wood frame like you said guppy and I believe it is the best idea. It will be in my basement not outside. I will go that route as soon as im done biulding my deck on my house. I think it will be a lot cheaper than a 500 gallon tank. It will be a great home for my tsn and lima . and maybe some other monster fish.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
I just got back from Lowe's Home Improvement store a few minutes ago, for a pond that size everything including a 1300gph pump and a 1000gph filter with an added 12g filter box would run just under $350 and could be done with a power drill and skillsaw in one long weekend. One thing to remember if it is going into your basement is that you will need to add a vent fan to the outside, or a dehumidifier, or both, to prevent a mildew problem from evaporation moisture. I have built a couple of these up to 4' deep x12' wide x 24' long (8500+g) for friends.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store