Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
mattybecks,
I like the plant roots in the water to remove nitrites!
Is it in a PVC pipe? Do you have something to make water flow through the pipe, or is that not necessary?
Is there a thread on this site about what you do?
Hi Johnny,
Yeah the pothos works really well at keeping the nitrates way down, but you do need quite a few plants to be really effective. It is a PVC pipe, I have attached a 2000lph pump on the one side to create flow across the roots. Originally I was going to put some bio media in there too, but have decided against it, just leaving the space for roots. Below is the link with some pics when I first built it on my 170L, I made the same for my 750L just bigger.
I have made a few changes from the original design, instead of capping the end and making a hole for the water to flow out of, I left it open and put one of those grills from a protein shaker over it. It needed to be way more open as the flow was quite strong.
I have since converted my 170L tank to marine so I don't have pothos on that one anymore, just my little shrimp tank, and my 750L tank as freshwater. In which I have a Jardini who is now just over 30cm with 9 x silver dollars and the 7 x geos. I do a water change as soon as my nitrate hits 20ppm which is about every 5 - 6 days depending if I am feeding heavily or not. Make sure you have good lighting to get the most of your pothos. Two weeks ago I had to trim the pothos down, they had reached the roof and were starting to grow around the light (my ceiling are 3.5m in height).

• Love
Reactions: johnnymax
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store