Sharks and Rays with Cleaner Shrimp

Cichlid23

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
So I'm setting up a new tank soon with two round rays, and a marbled cat shark, and possibly a kole tang or yellow but I'm not worried about that. I was wondering how much of a risk throwing in a few cleaner shrimps would be. I know shrimp make a great snack for sharks and rays but cleaners are known for there symbiotic relationship for cleaning larger fish. Is this still probably still to risky or may they see the cleaner shrimp as cleaners, if well fed and given the shrimp have some rocks to hide in?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
You would probably be better off with a cleaner wrasse the shrimp is a lot more likely to become an expensive snack.

Reactions: tlindsey

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
How big is the tank you are setting up? Dimension wise

Cichlid23

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
You would probably be better off with a cleaner wrasse the shrimp is a lot more likely to become an expensive snack.
That's kinda what I figured. I was just wondering if it had a chance at all. I don't really want one for there actual cleaning skills, more so because I think they look cool and I like the way they will clean your hand. Although with a cleaner wrasse would my stocking be enough to feed it, or would it likely starve? Also the tank is a standard 125 put I'll probably upgrade when they out grow it.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
You can try growing them out in a small tank and introduce them before the sharks and rays

Cichlid23

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Well the Stingrays are already at the pet store waiting for me and the cleaner shrimp is coming in a few days. The shrimp is already full grown. If I decide not to put them with the sharks and rays I have a 10g clownfish tank but it’s a breeding pair so I wanted to leave them alone. Also do you think the clear wrasse would starve with my stocking or should it be good?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
The cleaner wrasse will pick at alge or scavenge pieces left over from feeding

Cichlid23

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Alright, I might think about getting one of those. Do you know how other marine invertebrates like a sea cucumber, lettuce sea slug, sea stars, sea urchin (either a tuxedo or pencil), or trochus snails would fair in this tank?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Invertebrates in general will be tough. You don't want an urchin that could scratch up your rays if they attempted to eat. Snails will probably get eaten. Unsure of sea slugs or cucumbers or stars lemme check around real quick and get back to you.

Cichlid23

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Alright, I was just kinda wondering because I think some of them can be really cool. I figured I would run into some issues though but thought it wouldn't hurt to check. And yeah that would be helpful to know about them. And thank you for all the other information you have given me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store