Sharks for smaller aquarium.

Cichlid23

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I’m looking into making a shark a new addition to my growout aquarium. With two cortez rays. I was wondering which of these could probably do a smaller aquarium. I was wondering between a marbled cat shark and an epaulette shark. I know the epaulette is like a foot bigger but also walks instead of swimming and are naturally found in small tide pools. I’ve found pretty consistent answers on the marbled cat but not the epaulette. And if one requires less rock work to hid that would also be useful information.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
To start what's the tank size? If it's a "grow out" I'd recommend starting with an egg if possible and adjusting from there. But you also have to worry about the rays and sharks compatibility if the rays are too big they could go after a small shark. Rock work isnt necessary for either species but it keeps them calm and allows a place to hide if stressed.

Reactions: tlindsey

Cichlid23

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
It’s a 110. I don’t want an egg because I don’t want to risk it not hatching, last time I tried an egg it was infertile. My LFS can get sharks that are newly hatched. And I know that could be an issue with compatibility but that’s pretty much the risk with all predators. They are only 6” in diameter and lived peacefully with a 3” dragon goby for awhile. And is there one that would probably hide less? And I’m just wondering which will need a smaller tank in the long run.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Imo id recommend the marbled cat shark, mine was active alot. What're the dimensions of the tank

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
That’s a pretty tiny tank for any shark

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
The growout size isn't important. What's the adult tank size? Shape? Tankmates? Filtration? When is it getting set up? How sure are you of this?
Elasmos aren't something to be taken lightly. What is the scientific name of your "marbled cat shark"? That name can be used to refer to at least three different species, two of which have very different care requirements.

If you're talking about a coral cat shark or a true marbled cat shark (which is somewhat rare in the hobby), an 8x3 footprint would be fine. Or a 6 foot diameter pool.
If you're talking about a white-spotted bamboo, you'd be looking at an 8x4 footprint, or a 7-8 foot diameter pool.
A brown spotted bamboo is going to need bare minimum a 10 by 6 footprint or an 8, preferably 9-10 foot pool.

Any of your epaulette species will do fine in a 10x4 or 8x6 footprint.

Take care,
Drew

Cichlid23

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I don’t have a set size on the growout yet. 8X3 is around what I’m thinking. It’s most likely gonna be a rectangle. As of right now just the two rays and shark, possibly like a tang of some sort but I doubt I’ll add anything more. My LFS distributor doesn’t give scientific names but I’m confident it’s not a bamboo shark. And I’m very sure this is actually going to get set up. I’m very capable of building something for them.

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The coral cat sharks are probably the best suited for your tank.Most of them are small and some of them don't grow past two feet in length.They were rarely available back when I was into keeping sharks,I am not sure if that has changed any these days.Next but considerably bigger would be the bamboo sharks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store