shiners (threadfin shad)

nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
does anyone know how to get these lil fish home? and when u do, how to keep them alive? ive tried almost everything i could think of, and they die b-4 i get home. (from the lake) its ok i guess 'cause if they die my oscars and bluegill eat them.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
nativelover said:
does anyone know how to get these lil fish home? and when u do, how to keep them alive? ive tried almost everything i could think of, and they die b-4 i get home. (from the lake) its ok i guess 'cause if they die my oscars and bluegill eat them.
How long is the trip?

mrsrobertson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Rhode Island
we just bring them home in the bucket. As soon as we get here we throw the air tube into them. then we give it a little bit and throw them in the big tank. Kind of like a death row for feeders :evil_lol:

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
get a battery powered air pump?

EFeX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
Manila, Philippines
When I go fishing & when I need to bring live bait or if want to bring home live life I put in dry clay pots in the container, the clay pots release oxygen which provides aeration for the trip. Since I got a lot of those broken clay pots lying around the garden I just pick up a few pieces before I leave.

View attachment 1102323

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2006
DC-MD-VA
EFeX said:
When I go fishing & when I need to bring live bait or if want to bring home live life I put in dry clay pots in the container, the clay pots release oxygen which provides aeration for the trip. Since I got a lot of those broken clay pots lying around the garden I just pick up a few pieces before I leave.
wow... i gotta try that...

robby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2005
Manor, Tx
shad are notorious for not transporting well and croaking in captivity. Other shiners are much hardier. I doubt you'll be able to keep a threadfin alive even with the best transporting methods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store