Shipping Live Fish

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Great stuff. Maybe folks won't be so hesitant to ship. I've done it for 25+ years. I have never lost a fish yet. Shipping or receiving. It's like riding a bike ,after 1-3 times it's really gravy to do. Thanks for the information/reading material.

Reactions: UncleRico

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Is pure O2 necessary?
Pure O2 is preferred over regular room air which contains only ~21% O2. Keep in mind that even a short trip of, say, 3 hours means the fish has been in a jostling bag for upwards of 3 to 5 times, or more, the travel time from initial bagging, transport to shipping facility, the actual travel, wait and processing time by the shipper, and pick up and travel to final destination. And, finally, the acclimation time at the destination.
In overseas travel, fish can be transported several times, by different carriers, through trans-shippers where the fish are resorted prior to the last leg of their travel. Here, the fish are usually given a partial water change and possibly a rebagging before going to the wholesalers or end customers on custom orders.
Using pure O2 makes the stress of travel easier on the fish. Especially if there is a schedule interruption or delay in getting the fish to their destination.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Aeromis

Feeder Fish
Aug 15, 2018
Anyone with an idea where I can get an African fresh water Atlantic tarpon I really want another one for mine to be with... and no not idno message me if you know somewhere that will ship to me

Meckles

Feeder Fish
Feb 8, 2024
This manual is super informative! It's fascinating to see the intricacies involved in shipping live tropical fish. Makes you appreciate the effort needed to get them safely to their destination.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This manual is super informative! It's fascinating to see the intricacies involved in shipping live tropical fish. Makes you appreciate the effort needed to get them safely to their destination.
Welcome aboard

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store