Short advice & what can i keep my snakehead with ??

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
jk41589;2522247; said:
Hey guys i'm quite new here.

Can i mix these fish in the comm tank?

Channa Micropeltes(3")
2 Green Terrors(2.5" and 2")

The larger GT bullies the smaller one and sometimes chase the Micro.

If i can't

Can i mix my Micro with an established comm tank of

Pacu(full grown)
2 Oscars(full grwon)

:nilly:
hi mate , chances are while still young the micro will get bullied from the cichlids and be very stressed , if they do not die from stress then within a couple of months they will be big enough to eat the cichlids , so that combo will not work for any period of time really , and i would advise against it.

second question , if you mean can you mix them now , the answer is 100% no , the oscars will most def either eat the micros or hassle them until they die , they will get stressed go off there food and eventually die.

if you mean when your micros have gained some size , then the answer is yes you can house them together sort term , but it will only ever be short term , at some point the micro will snap and take a bite out of the other fish , this may happen within a month or it make take a year but you will never see any pictures of a fully grown micro with any tankmates in a private aquarium , and that is for a very good reason , the older the get the less they will tolerate any other company .

Polypterus Endlicheri (its for a while in that tank) - no problems,
you are correct , for some strange reason birchirs seam to get on well with channa , and may be an exception to the rule . it is strange but they do seam to even make freinds and often share caves ect. iam not sure why this is , as most snakeheads will not encounter birchirs in nature. obviously you need to match the birchirs size and the channa size , and you would not have any sucsess breeding with a birchir in the tank as channa obviously do not see them as a threat and the birchir would eat any eggs / fry .

cheers col

jk41589

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2008
philippines
oh. thanks mate. that is a lot of help to me. :D

I also noticed that private aquariums with micros are usually with other micros or just plain alone. Now i realize the reason behind it.

i'll probably get another aquarium for the micro. they are, for me, the best looking predator. and i see you have a lot of channas. more reason for me to believe you. :D

btw, can i mix the GTs with the pacus and oscars after they grow to maturity? i haven't really found any clear answer to that. GTs are rare in my place, that's why i don't want to experiment.

Thanks again mate. :headbang2

jk41589

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2008
philippines
@ Tropheus

Yeah, i also thought so. :D

Anyway, i have another question. I'm quite sure other snakehead keepers have this in their mind. I'll spit it out for them.

I have been thinking on housing 3 Micros. I'm not sure what tank size is best though. I was thinking 200-300 gals.

Here's my real question. Are plywood tanks better than glass tanks? I'm also considering the price of the tank. Micros are known to smash glass tanks right? That's why i'm thinking of buying either a reinforced glass tank, or a plywood tank that will have thick glass window.

Snakeheads RULE!! :D

ps. How will i clean the tank when my micros grow to 3 ft??????? I haven't thought a bout that :p

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
hi mate , good questions

the bare minimum size tank i would house 1 adult micro in for long term is 6 foot by 3ft by 2ft

the bare minimum i would house 3 micros in at adult size long term is 9ft by 4ft by 4ft

again these are bare minimum sizes in my opinion, you need to remember if you want your micros to look there best and maintain there great sheen on the body ,then they must feel secure, to feel secure they will highly apprechiate floating cover and some structure in there in the form of large wood roots ect. so the bigger the better

there is a micro in a shop near where i live in a 8x2x2 and it looks crammped , it is also in a bare tank and there is no sheen to the body at all , the fish was rescued by the shop from a customer who had it in a juwel trigon , (the fish is 3ft ,juwel trigons are 3ft corner tanks) this shows no matter what people think or how they keep them ,micros will reach 3ft in the aquarium, a nine foot tank only allows the fish to move three times its body length if it reaches the minimum expected size in a aquarium.
i strongly belive a tank should have a bare minimum width equal to lenght of the fish, considering the expected lenght of a captive micro being 3ft something. then 4ft width would more than likley be sufficiant. of course if you could provide more than this then that is better

200-300 gal. would work out the absolute bare minimum anyone should consider for one micro personally i would not keep one in such a small tank at adult size ,and think that at that size you would be forced to keep it in a bare tank due to space restrictions.

a decent tank say 9x3x2 would work out at around the 400gal mark and is what i would recomend for one micro

a decent tank for 3 micros say 10x4x4 would work out at around 1100gal

at these sizes a plywood tank is a very real alternitive to a glass tank, in fact at this size you will find arcrylic will be around the same price as glass. and would also be better in such a large size.

when building a plywood tank i would also prefer to use arcrylic as the viewing window for safty reasons.
if useing a glass tank there is a slight chance of a micro going it , they certainly have the capability ,but this decreases with glass thickness , going for 12mm all round minimum would reduce this risk , also micros that are grown from juviniles in captivity useally do not ram the glass , a wild caught adult will ram the glass a lot. allway use perspex ect for the top covers as this is the part most likley to get smashed.

a ply wood tank is not better than a glass tank just as a plastic tank is not better or worse than either of the others , they all have pros and cons, the cheepest way to get a huge tank is without doubt plywood , unless you can find a second hand glass tank.

cleaning a plywood tank would be easy , as only the front viewing glass would need cleaning and you could just stick a scrapper on it . on a glass tank personally i would fit some of the juwel structured background on the back and sides , this is arounf 2" thick in places , as well as taking any blows delt by the fish ,stopping any breakages ,it would also not need to be cleaned (mine been fitted for two years now and have not cleanrd it yet ,if fact it just looks more realistic as time goes on) leaving just the front panel to clean again ,which could be taken care of via a magnetic scrapper.

personally i would have no worries putting my hand in to clean a tank with big micros in , unless they had paired up. i useally find if you put in a peice of wood first ,they will attack that and sharply realise its not food , as soon as they have realosed then put your arm in and clen as req.d , the main reason a micro will bite is because they get used to attacking anything that breaks the surface thinking its food , as soon as they realise its not food time they loose interest.

cheers col

jk41589

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2008
philippines
Wow! Maybe i'll just stick with one micro. will start measuring the spaces tomorrow. I'm sure my mom will kill me if i get a brand new tank.

my only choice would be a second hand or just build myself a plywood. many thanks mate. you have enlightened me once again.

cheers,
jk

kocur

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
Warsaw, Poland
now in my tank for 1,5 week.

Channa Marulidoes (40 cm)
Giant Gourami (30 cm)
3 x Chitala Ornata / Knife fish (25-30 cm)

and its work

P1018430_zm.JPG

P1018376zm.JPG

jk41589

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2008
philippines
I love the tank setup. :D

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
jk41589;2540414; said:
Wow! Maybe i'll just stick with one micro. will start measuring the spaces tomorrow. I'm sure my mom will kill me if i get a brand new tank.

my only choice would be a second hand or just build myself a plywood. many thanks mate. you have enlightened me once again.

cheers,
jk

no worries mate , one micro is useally best as they tend to get along less as they get bigger , and if just one micro the tank volume is reduced by a massive amount and the chances of finding a used tank are greatly increased.

one micro as a "pet" fish works well if you give them the space , if you can provide something 3ft wide it will most certainly last for life , a 2.5 foot should last a really long time . maybe life depending on the size it acheives. if building yourself go with 3ft there will be no price diferance in width on a plywood tank

another real alternitive would be diplogramma if you can find one , it is suspected the final size of diplo will be around the 2ft mark , which makes many off the self aquariums suitable , and you end up with a really rare fish which looks as good if not better than a micro

cheers col

Super Ape

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
sweden
ah back to only one thread now, thats better! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store