Short advice & what can i keep my snakehead with ??

AlexS

Feeder Fish
Apr 21, 2012
Athens
Hi guyz i am wondering if i can house 2 micropeltes(its babies now,only 12cm)with a stingray(10-12 also)?Thanks!

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
One will end up killing the other, Most likely at small sizes the ray will be the victor the Micro will be the lunch.

fishyman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
Singapore
Hi guyz i am wondering if i can house 2 micropeltes(its babies now,only 12cm)with a stingray(10-12 also)?Thanks!
A ray of that size... I don't think it has a mouth that is wide enough to swallow your snakehead(s) (you can confirm this by taking a look as your ray swims with its mouth against the front glass of your tank).

But these micropeltes are very fast growers. There is a risk that when it grows big, it may become aggressive towards your ray.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
I have a question. Where can I get a snakehead? I am aware that they are illegal in some states and very hard to get a hold of. I've had many different types of fish and want to try something new, so I would love to know where to buy one online. Thank you.
I smell bacon~~!

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Hello fellow Channa keepers,

I have started holding fishes a few years ago (Piranhas, cichlids, channas, polys), and whenever I find a new kind of channa that can be kept in a tank that I have the room for, I end up with a new tank...

I can't help it, channas are probably the most amazing fishes ever seen, and seeing them dance in front of the window, have their belly grow after a good snack, chase eachother to, in the end, drop all aggressiveness once their playmate caught, just amazes me the more I see them.

I actually have a tank with bleheris (with my luck, I have no mated pairs out of the 6 I bought so it's still 6 of them dancing all day long), a 700L tank with cichlids, and a newly created (still lacking floating plants, but everything else is in there) tank with four asiaticas, hoping to create a pair before removing the other two. (Without mentioning the few baby tanks here and there, and believe me, my housemate isn't always happy about those tanks... :p)

After acquiring these sub-juvenile Asiaticas, I realized nothing can beat channas, not even a wonderfully well setup Cichlid tank with enough colors to make you dizzy...

So I came to wonder, not that I'm particularily fond of doing a wholesale of my cichlids, and redoing my whole tank, if there was any specie/mix of species that would actually live in a 700L (about 185g if google is correct not that many americans actually get to hold channas :( ) without limiting the population to two of them.

I am not talking about a community tank, I am thinking of a channa exclusive tank, but with perhaps smaller species of channas, that actually get together, or a single specie, that actually allows for more than a paired couple...

Ideally, nothing as small as bleheris (not that there is any) but not quite monsters like Micropeltes either!

Any idea of a mix that would be compatible (and in all fairness, I would not consider any mix that wouldn't make all of them happy in the conditions it is put in) or of a kind that would live as a shoal/family without a risk of them eating eachother (And while risk zero doesn't exist in the hobby, pretty damn close to zero is what i'm after, losing one poly to choking on a smaller fish taught me to stay the f away from community tank mixing with monsters...)

if I am not clear, let me know, I tend to get excited about ideas, and gather informations the second I have them, so i'm all over the place!

rahulnr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Help,.my malabar snakehead babies are not active and they didn't eat the feeder fish which I gave yesterday morning,.still wandering around..is that any cause of infection or something,,pls help me out

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
How big are the channa , how big are they prey fish? how big is the tank? What is the setup like ? Any floating cover? decor ? filtration ? Flow?? Water parameters & temps ? How long have they been in the tank? .... all important facts that would been needed for any type of trouble shooting ...

rahulnr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
How big are the channa , how big are they prey fish? how big is the tank? What is the setup like ? Any floating cover? decor ? filtration ? Flow?? Water parameters & temps ? How long have they been in the tank? .... all important facts that would been needed for any type of trouble shooting ...
Tank is about 1 meter long and a half meters breadth,with one feet depth,plants are used as floating,no filtration,no heater,,fish is about 8 cm long,it has been on tank for one week,feeder is are small grass carps,and guppies,.they were quite fine and ate feeders before,.carps are about 3 cm long.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
What's the temp at now ? They are tropical and will go off food if the water cools

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store