Short body flower horn?

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
My LFS has a short bodied flower horn. It looks like a flowerhorn crossed with a red parrot cichlid. Are these fish just as aggressive as flower horns. Can I put them in with other cichlids and also do they look as good as the regular ones or are they awkwardly shaped when the get big.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

crazysteve

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
kentucky
Yes will probably be just as aggressive. How it will be shaped you should be able to tell by looking at it. You can if ya have a 300 gal or bigger. Or if ya don't mind removing dead fish

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
If it literally looks like a Parrot then its a Kirin Parrot and not a SB Flowerhorn. Kirins are less aggressive than SB Flowerhorn. SB Flowerhorn are typically as aggressive as any Flowerhorn. If its Kirin you could expect 6-8" and SB Flowerhorn depends on how short body it is. If its a Bonsai then its 6-8", if its your typical SB then 8-10".

There can be many variations in short body but I am gonna generalize it for the sake of identification on your part. Pay attention to the shape of the body

Kirin Parrot - Parrot body with Flowerhorn markings

kirin.jpg

Bonsai Flowerhorn - Flowerhorn with coin body shape
post-281-1109667202.jpg
View attachment 774983

Normal Short Body - Flowerhorn with more elongated body than a Bonsai

gallery_77_2_68113.jpg

post-281-1109667202.jpg

kirin.jpg

gallery_77_2_68113.jpg

Reactions: Al KW Tan

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
Thanks for the help. Ill have to check back with them to see. I couldn't really see the mouth on the pictures of the Kirin but is it the same mouth as the red parrot(it never closes).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Well if its got a parrot mouth then its a Kirin Parrot. They are awesome fish, have 8 myself. They can look as nice as some flowerhorn without all the aggression issues you usually have with flowerhorn.

Dr. Sugandh

Feeder Fish
Nov 4, 2017
My short body flowerhorn developed a wound since 5 days and seems lethargic and the size of lesion increased. How to treat?

IMG_20171104_084331.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store