Short body severums

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
The lfs received a shipment of 30 go old sev fry at 2" . On careful examination I saw some that looked to be short bodied . Looked cool , they had almost a perfect round bodied . Anyone else has seen short bodied severums or keeps one ?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I would think most are culled, I’ve never actually heard of a short body sev. Stands to reason it could occur in them as any other fish.
Edit: just looked it up…not much out there. Looks weird, like a parrot crossed with a discus.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
All short-bodied fish have a spinal deformity and IMO should be culled. It has been amplified in gold/super red severums because of all the line-breeding. Most of the super reds being imported from Asia now have some degree of this deformity.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
My opinion and I'll just come out with it. You can occasionally get one or more when breeding fish. Most of them don't last long ime. I understand the "aww, he's cute" reaction (my wife) and on a rare occasion giving the odd individual a chance at life if he makes it past an inch and you're inclined to and have the space in a secondary tank, etc., I also understand feeling sorry for one at a lfs and taking it home, though speaking for myself I wouldn't put them in an office or living room display tank. I would never sell or intentionally attempt to breed short bodied fish and I don't have a high opinion of those who do, nor of larger breeder/distributors who don't exercise the quality control to winnow them out once they can be identified.

Last edited:

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Thought of getting a single short body to grow it out for a 55 , instead when I visited today I saw a 4-5" green morph of the common severum , he had got . I had been telling him to get one for months . So I got the green instead of the gold short body. He's currently in a 15 g quarantine . I'll post pic's tomorrow as it's night here already.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store