Shortbody or an actual issue?

SpinalTea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2019
hello sorry if this is obvious to some people-
could anyone tell me if this is a shortbody or if i'm doing something wrong in the care thats preventing growth? my regular sen started about this length (a little over 3 inches) in february but is about 8 inches now, i just got this lil one 15 weeks ago and theres been little to no growth- the sen was in the same tank growing up but has been moved. (im a bit freaked that it may be shortbody because i didnt want that at all) i can post all the tank info if needed, my bad

FD8E3B10-618B-481F-BCDF-873394A62400.jpeg

SpinalTea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2019
From my experience, albino senegals grow slower and don't get as large as the regular counter part. Its genetic plays a role in its size.
ah ok thank you very much! hopefully she will get longer in time then :)

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
Albino fish seem to suffer with poor eye sight, might make them struggle to compete for food? Maybe this could contribute to slower growth.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Albino fish seem to suffer with poor eye sight, might make them struggle to compete for food? Maybe this could contribute to slower growth.
Could be true for other fish but polypterus mainly rely on their sense of smell to find food. Polypterus in general already have poor eye sight compared to most tropical fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store