Shortnose Gar Farms

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
IDK if I could say this is a pure shortnose. I have them wild here and catch them regularly and none of the ones I catch have spotting on the sides of their bodies, strictly only the tail gets spots. Also if it was 13 years old it should be max size by now unless it was growth stunted. I've personally caught shortnose out here pushing 3ft. To me this gar looks like it's a possible hybrid between the Florida gar and the shortnose.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
IDK if I could say this is a pure shortnose. I have them wild here and catch them regularly and none of the ones I catch have spotting on the sides of their bodies, strictly only the tail gets spots. Also if it was 13 years old it should be max size by now unless it was growth stunted. I've personally caught shortnose out here pushing 3ft. To me this gar looks like it's a possible hybrid between the Florida gar and the shortnose.
It's most likely a captive bred Florida gar. I don't think their range in the wild would allow them to hybridize.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Besides true shortnose gars are probably the rarest kind in the hobby. Although there's so many out in their native area.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
It's most likely a captive bred Florida gar. I don't think their range in the wild would allow them to hybridize.
To me I was thinking more of a captive bred hybrid rather then a wild hybrid tho I could see it potentially happening in the right circumstances but highly unlikely.

Still not certain why shortnose are the only gar specie I never see in the pet trade. I have looked everywhere for info on this and could never find any articles explaining why. Granted I will say having them in your native area definitely makes it where the fish is just a bit less attractive compaired to something foreign to yourself. I think that's kind of the main reason you don't see more ppl in the US keeping US native species. I guess it's just more fun keeping something you would otherwise never be able to see in the wild unless ya traveled there.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
To me I was thinking more of a captive bred hybrid rather then a wild hybrid tho I could see it potentially happening in the right circumstances but highly unlikely.

Still not certain why shortnose are the only gar specie I never see in the pet trade. I have looked everywhere for info on this and could never find any articles explaining why. Granted I will say having them in your native area definitely makes it where the fish is just a bit less attractive compaired to something foreign to yourself. I think that's kind of the main reason you don't see more ppl in the US keeping US native species. I guess it's just more fun keeping something you would otherwise never be able to see in the wild unless ya traveled there.
As for captive bred hybrids that I'm aware of don't have shortnose involved due to them being so rare. It's already rare to see wild Shortnose gars in Asia so captive bred ones are most likely non existent.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
As for captive bred hybrids that I'm aware of don't have shortnose involved due to them being so rare. It's already rare to see wild Shortnose gars in Asia so captive bred ones are most likely non existent.
I know I've looked online whether or not it was legal to sell/export shortnose but couldn't even find anything on the legality of it. Just sucks I got have any large enough tanks to try and breed some in, they are extremely common here, had days where all I was catching was shortnose and nothing else. Had a couple days where I caught over 30 of em within just a few hours of fishing.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I know I've looked online whether or not it was legal to sell/export shortnose but couldn't even find anything on the legality of it. Just sucks I got have any large enough tanks to try and breed some in, they are extremely common here, had days where all I was catching was shortnose and nothing else. Had a couple days where I caught over 30 of em within just a few hours of fishing.
I only know one person who sells shortnose gars to Asia but he rarely catches them since he has to travel some distance for them. He usually ships spotted gars, longnose gars, gator gars and sometimes wild hybrids. All caught from Texas waterways like Trinity River. I believe you need special permit to export/catch and sell them or something. Not too sure. Since I don't know too many people shipping wild gars from the states internationally.

Reactions: Iamfish

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I only know one person who sells shortnose gars to Asia but he rarely catches them since he has to travel some distance for them. He usually ships spotted gars, longnose gars, gator gars and sometimes wild hybrids. All caught from Texas waterways like Trinity River. I believe you need special permit to export/catch and sell them or something. Not too sure. Since I don't know too many people shipping wild gars from the states internationally.
Well I know in South Dakota here it's illegal to sell wild caught species but it's perfectly legal to sell captive bred ones. So for me atleast I'd have to catch a male and female wild, breed them, and then sell only the offspring they produce but I wouldn't be able to sell the parents. As for exporting them id have to do more digging into it to find out the exact legality of it.

I know for the last 10 years the shortnose populations here as been on the uprise and hopefully that means more ppl will be able to start exporting/selling them but that's only if the interest in them picks up as well.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Well I know in South Dakota here it's illegal to sell wild caught species but it's perfectly legal to sell captive bred ones. So for me atleast I'd have to catch a male and female wild, breed them, and then sell only the offspring they produce but I wouldn't be able to sell the parents. As for exporting them id have to do more digging into it to find out the exact legality of it.

I know for the last 10 years the shortnose populations here as been on the uprise and hopefully that means more ppl will be able to start exporting/selling them but that's only if the interest in them picks up as well.
Well good luck with the gar also the same here in Florida with the native species captive bred individuals are allowed to be sold and shipped and also if wild caught it will be illegal may do some sunfish breeding also next year after i start and finish the cow minnow/guppy hybrids project

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

GarDaddyDustin

Feeder Fish
Apr 30, 2020
The older man who gave this gar to me said he caught it as a baby here in Kentucky. He and his wife kept it in a 29 gallon aquarium and only fed it blood worms for about 10 years. It was barely able to turn in the tank they had so I offered to give it a better home and immediately bought and set up a 75 gallon for it. Most of the responses I've gotten about it say Florida or Spotted Gar when they see side profile pics. Others suspect Alligator Gar when the see the face. This has now become a quest to figure out exactly what she is lol.

IMG_20200430_210919_650.jpg

20200429_073119.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store