Should a Chimpanzee Be Considered a Person?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I believe they should be treated well given that they are very intelligent and social creatures but as a human? That's too far imo

MaddMaxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Abu Dhabi/NJ
Hello; First we need to be on the same page. Chimps and other animals may already some protections under the laws for animal cruelty and property right laws. Bear in mind I am not a lawyer if I get some of this wrong.

Animals and pets fall under property rights of the human owner. If you were to kill an animal in an accident and were found liable then you would only face monetary damage costs. If a chimp were to be given "person rights" like a human has then it could possibly be considered manslaughter depending on how a judge applied the law.

Another might be that some standards that now only apply to humans would apply to chimps. This might be a bit far fetched but might a community be required to offer some form of education like sign language school.

Also bear in mind that apes and chimps are just the "nose under the tent" as rights for many other animals will be pushed once that threshold is breached. Right now there are various animal cruelity laws for our pets and livestock. Imagine if these animals were given human equivalent "people rights".
While it might not be too bad if animal rights activists were reasonable about things, that has not been my observation. Perhaps picture having to provide for an animal pretty much like a human child.

Last in this post is the "pets as slaves" issue. If memory serves form the film I referenced earlier there was some talk about having pets is the same as having a slave. If nothing else this part is and example, to me at least, of how unhinged some of these animal rights movements are.
How many monkeys are you murdering that you're worried about manslaughter charges?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I think we should not stop with chimps or primates, but should include all chordates. Why do you think a lancelet has less rights than you? Your predecessor far enough back was a tunicate, even less human than that.
Anyway, done with the insanity, I remember hearing somewhere that just tropheus have more genetic diversity than all the cichlids in Lake Malawi. Genetic simillarity sounds great, but really means very little. Chimps are living things and need to be respected, they are also more self aware than a tree or a rat, so need to be treated as such, but they are not human. You don't treat all people the same, some are smarter, more territorial, closer kin to you, better looking, more aggressive, predatory etc. You should not treat all animals the same either. I would not buy chimp meat, but I eat meat and use leather and feed my fish stuff I catch in the summer. You need to respect the mosquito larvae you feed your fish and not torture them, but you should not let them live either. Mosquito larvae are not chimps, and chimps are not humans, just like mbuna are not peacocks, and they will even breed.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
How many monkeys are you murdering that you're worried about manslaughter charges?
Hello; So far I have not killed even one. None by accident. I was answering a question with an example of what might become a problem. Sorry it was too complex an example but it is hard to keep things simple. To be more clear, there will be consequences if non-human animals are given "people rights". I can guess at what some problems may be, but likely there will problems no one can anticipate.

Genetic simillarity sounds great, but really means very little. Chimps are living things and need to be respected, they are also more self aware than a tree or a rat, so need to be treated as such, but they are not human.
hello; Yes to this.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
So... what would you lose by giving chimps rights?
Jail time for hunting, no more monkeys in zoos, and zoo keepers to be arrested for human (ape) trafficking. These give animals the same rights as humans thread are awful. If you people actually believe what your saying give your head a shake.

Reactions: skjl47

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
You hunt chimps? Are there wild populations in North America? Are they good eating?
I'm all for giving apes the same rights as humans...as long as I can still hunt them, which by definition means human then becomes legal game as well.

Reactions: skjl47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store