Should I Add Albino Senegal and Delhezi Bichirs?

tfreema

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
One of our club members needs to rehome her albino senegal and delhezi bichirs (1 of each), both about 5 - 6",

What are your thoughts on fitting them into the 120g (60x18x24) with the current stock?:

2 Ctenopomas
5 ropefish
1 african brown knifefish
3 african butterfly fish
2 bn plecos (may be 3 soon to add another female from tank I am closing down)
2 bengal loaches

I had planned on adding a bichir or two once the loaches aged out. They are about 7 years old. Two of the yoyo's I rehomed are 10 years old with a 5 - 8 year life span so, it could be years left for these guys. I do not think I can catch the loaches without tearing the tank apart.......

Would they work better with a 125g (72x18x21)? I have one, but it would be a real pain to swap stock from one to the other......

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It’ll work if the loaches are fully grown and the ancistrus are large adults.

tfreema

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
It’ll work if the loaches are fully grown and the ancistrus are large adults.
Yes, the loaches and bn plecos are all about 7 years old and fat little things. Bengal loaches are on the smaller side at about 4" but should not fit in these variety bichir's mouth unless I am not understanding how big their mouth can open up (like my ctenopomas that can open really wide)

I agree with kno4te kno4te depending on if anything will easily fit in either polys mouth or not. Should be good.
Thanks to both of you for a quick response.

One concern I had was making sure I had enough of a footprint to accommodate so many bottom dwellers. I tend to gravitate to bottom dwellers for some reason......

Another concern is the african brown knife fish. It is difficult to make sure it gets enough to eat. He will eat out of the water column as well as from the bottom when food drops, but I can drop its favorite food right in front of that doggone fish and it will take a hard right or left turn or completely turn around and go in the opposite direction allowing the ctenopomas to swoop in and grab it or it floats to the bottom to the ropefish. This is the hardest tank to get everyone fed without overfeeding some.......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store