Should I put this fish down???

Plecos_Ftw

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2007
Palmdale, Cali
Ok so Ive had this fish for a long time. I believe hes a Mbuna, least thats what Im told, I dont know much about them. He has had nothing but health issues since I got him. I have two of these guys, both of them look exactly alike, and the other one is just fine, except for being mean. This one gets popeye a lot. Not a tank problem, no one else has gotten sick, no one has shown signs of anything. We used to just put some salt in, bump the temp, and it would go away.

Its gotten a lot more frequent now and we noticed a redish mark on his side. We immediatly put him in a 10g and treated him with tetracycline.. Few days later noticed there were clear worms in the tank.. Now hes been in there for a while. He eats, but theres still worms. my big question, should I just put him out of his misery since we can pretty much never put him back in any of our tanks again, for fear of getting everyone sick. Hes always sick though with something. What should I do?? I just duno? Im open to suggestions. Id hate to just clove oil him, Ive had him forever.. Heres some pics I took of him last night and the tank hes in :( thanks for any help!

eternity302

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Buddy, i have a GG for 3 months now, or about there! I've never seen a GG at a pet store before, i bought him at 2inch for $40, yes, not even a red tail! I KNOW, but i just had to! he's got his butt kicked so bad he lost more than 50% of his scales! I quarintined him alone in a 29 barebottom tank! And then he started healing, then got ick, then got ick again, then got fin and tail rot, then got fungus, now he's got some white stuff hanging! besides the first two weeks.. everything have been horrible.. he eats maybe one piece of small dried krill a day and that's it!... he's still living...
I'm just saying.. I'm in the same situation... i have even considered a painless death in the freezer for him!
but at the end... i know what u mean.. i've bonded with him and tried so hard... i'm gonna fight it at the end!
just seperate him until ur 100% sure he can go back and join the boys! that would be my advice!
It's better that he dies knowing u tried everything then put him down..!

eternity302

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
MINE WON'T EVEN EAT! Compared to me... i'm torturing him forcing him to live! But my girlfriend said one thing that's why i kept going "he's eating, it means he wants to live, or he wouldn't be eating fighting for his life"... that's why I kept trying!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store