Should I run a canister in addition to my sump?

DParcade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2018
I'm setting up a 180 gallon tank that came with a 20 gallon sump. This is my first sump system, and I'm super stoked to get it going - but everything I'm reading is suggesting that it's a bit light in terms of filtration for a 180G system. I have access to a Cascade 1500 canister filter, but am wondering if it is necessary.

If I should run both, I'm trying to figure out a way to add the canister without them being visually seen (one of the best things about the sump is that there are no tubes running around on the background. Would it be viable to perhaps put the intake/output in the sump itself?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm setting up a 180 gallon tank that came with a 20 gallon sump. This is my first sump system, and I'm super stoked to get it going - but everything I'm reading is suggesting that it's a bit light in terms of filtration for a 180G system. I have access to a Cascade 1500 canister filter, but am wondering if it is necessary.

If I should run both, I'm trying to figure out a way to add the canister without them being visually seen (one of the best things about the sump is that there are no tubes running around on the background. Would it be viable to perhaps put the intake/output in the sump itself?

Personally I would just upgrade the sump the larger the better.

DParcade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2018
Unfortunately there are some budget restraints on upgrading the sump, but I agree that'd be the best option

Reactions: tlindsey

DParcade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2018
Perhaps another option is to run the intake/output where I have my sump plumbing? That'd be completely hidden, but the area would be pretty darn compressed. Are any of these options viable?

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
You won't be able to achieve high turnover numbers with a 20 gallon sump. I'd suggest running the sump on one side, run the canister on the other end and save some cash for an upgrade. After sufficient funds are available, remove everything and start fresh. Search local classifieds for some good deals on used tanks. Sumps can be scratched and ugly, it makes no difference when hidden under the stand.

DParcade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2018
Okay, I appreciate the great feedback! I think I'll put more effort onto just tastefully showing the canister filter for now, then search for a better looking upgrade down the road.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
It really matters how good of a pump you have and how fast you can get water draining into your sump..I would suggest getting a controllable DC pump so you can adjust the flow/ power of the pump to match with the maximum amount of water you have draining into the sump.. you can always add a hang on back drain system if you want to get more water pouring into the sump.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
20180210_173745.jpg Buy a tote from hd or Lowe's that's bigger then your 20g. You can get a 55g tote from hd for $15. I am currently using one. If not fill your canister with bio and run it out of your sump. I did the above for about $50 not including the pump obviously.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I always paint my glass backgrounds black, cant stand the clear back and seeing the wall and everything behind the tank. And if your canister has black intake and outlets they will blend right in as long as your lighting isn't shining right down on them. Same with black heaters, but if your running that down in the sump then it's not an issue. You could run the canister on the sump tank as mentioned before to keep it all hidden, but you would probably need to raise the sump as the canisters are designed to be run below the water level.

Reactions: DParcade
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store