Shovel nose catfish with swim bladder issue

Poseidonfernandes

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
India
I had the shovel nose for 3 yrs. I got it at 3inch. It was in a 1600gal pond with a giant gourami. He was 25inch when he died. Ok now ill tell you what happened. I had just reached home and i see the shovelnose not being able to swim properly. So i went close just to see his belly full off air or something i dont know as it was soft. Thats when i msged on this group. The water parameter all ok. No issue with the water. Another thing is i live in india and getting your hands on fish medication or anything for the matter is like searching for diamonds in your backyard. Its very rare that you will get any proper fish medication. The fish died very fast but i did everything that i could

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for this. I feel better :)

If I had to guess, I'd say chances are 9 in 10 that your water is not ok, even though you state that it is. Ammonia or nitrite, low DO, too hard or too soft, wrong TDS, wrong or unstable pH or wrong temp, etc. Or the diet was wrong.

Medications are last resort options. No one in their right state of mind should recommend medicating before checking a whole list of other things first. In the vast majority of cases, correcting the water or the diet or both is sufficient and can help. I do grant that your case was way too advanced and there was probably nothing you could do but I'd, again, guess that your TSN has been suffering from low level, long term problem with water or diet or both.

Of course no one can rule out that the fish had a sickness unrelated to the keeping conditions but for every such case a hundred of inadequate husbandry cases occur, so we can only speak of chances here because your info is still very, very inadequate to even attempt any kind of troubleshooting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store