Show Us The Different Species of African Rift Lake Cichlids..

Zane_A

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2017
NJ
One of my 2 Lamprologus Meleagris. (Waters a bit cloudy because I had just done a water change.)

20180405_192650.jpg 20180405_192712.jpg

Max L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
Beautiful Cobue. I keep Afra Cobue myself but mine are not nearly as pretty as yours is. Do you have any insight on how to make mine look like yours?
African cichlids establish hierarchies among themselves, and display color based on their ranking in that hierarchy. My afra cobue is pretty high up there, so he shows a lot more color. I’ll also point out that my afra cobue is not that vibrant most of the time, he’s typically a little darker, but I probably took this picture after I fed them or did a big water change, hence how colorful he is.

Jeditaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2017
African cichlids establish hierarchies among themselves, and display color based on their ranking in that hierarchy. My afra cobue is pretty high up there, so he shows a lot more color. I’ll also point out that my afra cobue is not that vibrant most of the time, he’s typically a little darker, but I probably took this picture after I fed them or did a big water change, hence how colorful he is.
Thanks Junior and Max, I feed them NLS cichlid formula 2 times a day. I think you are right about the heirarchy and the genetics. My biggest and prettiest Afra Cobue was building a nest one day, then I saw him fighting with the slightly smaller Afra Cobue. They were biting each other's mouths. Then a few hours later I found the biggest and prettiest Cobue dead in the back corner of the tank :-( saddest day of having my tank. I didn't create a thread because my water conditions were good and I did a 50% water change the next day. I figured it was aggression. My stocking details are in my profile.

JuniorMonsterKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Thanks Junior and Max, I feed them NLS cichlid formula 2 times a day. I think you are right about the heirarchy and the genetics. My biggest and prettiest Afra Cobue was building a nest one day, then I saw him fighting with the slightly smaller Afra Cobue. They were biting each other's mouths. Then a few hours later I found the biggest and prettiest Cobue dead in the back corner of the tank :-( saddest day of having my tank. I didn't create a thread because my water conditions were good and I did a 50% water change the next day. I figured it was aggression. My stocking details are in my profile.
Sorry to hear that - how big is your tank and what visual blocks do you have ? I have a red top and it does the same with my red jewels but it’s greatly out numbered and oversized but they have clearly defined their territories now and they stay away from the others rock so to speak. Also helps to get in there with a net sometimes and or isolate one for a day if necessary which is what I did with my red zebras. Also how many females do you have in there ?

Jeditaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear that - how big is your tank and what visual blocks do you have ? I have a red top and it does the same with my red jewels but it’s greatly out numbered and oversized but they have clearly defined their territories now and they stay away from the others rock so to speak. Also helps to get in there with a net sometimes and or isolate one for a day if necessary which is what I did with my red zebras. Also how many females do you have in there ?
I have a 75 gallon my visual blocks are I have one XL rock that I got from an LFS, a big fake plant, a smaller fake plant, a house bubbler with places to hide, another rock structure, a rock bubbler, and a cichlid rock with three caves and 2 separate smaller cichlid rocks. I'll take a picture and add it tonight after my baby is asleep.

My female ratio has been really hard for me to determine because so many males and females look the same. But I bought all of them as juveniles before the could be sexed so I think I have too many males and not enough females.

Jeditaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a pic of my tank and two of the Afra Cobues are in the pic as well.

IMG_0200.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store