Show us you Goliath Tiger Fish

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
NOOOO, way different fish! This the world's largest characin reaching a reported length of 6' in the wild, and weigh over 150lbs. They are from africa, genus is Hydrocynus, sp Goliath.
Redtailed Barracuda is a South American characin that maxes out at about 12", genus is Acestrorhynchus, sp Falcatus. Awesome toothy fish, none the less, but way different.

BraveheartCalif

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
Bermuda
Actually,the largest Hydrocynus goliath on record is

6" 6"and weighing in at a staggering 253 pounds

Copeina

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I didn't realize they were rare... our LFS gets them in at least once a year. I am in Winnipeg, Canada.

They are rediculously expensive, but not hard to get. $200 @ 6".

Awesome eaters and great "presence". They had one in their 5'x5' tank for quite some time and it was fascinating to watch. Very aware of their surroundings.

/Kris

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Copeina said:
I didn't realize they were rare... our LFS gets them in at least once a year. I am in Winnipeg, Canada.

They are rediculously expensive, but not hard to get. $200 @ 6".

Awesome eaters and great "presence". They had one in their 5'x5' tank for quite some time and it was fascinating to watch. Very aware of their surroundings.

/Kris
If you could guarentee that what your LFS gets is definately this species, you would have many customers lined up to buy, me being one of them. :cheers:

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Just a tigerfish? :y220d: A Tiger Pike or African Pike Hepsetus Odoe (more commonly called) doesn't look much like that fish.
Pike

ATFs

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
that ATF looks well swwt :D

how fast do they grow ?
what size tank do you keep the fish in ?
does the fish have tank mates ?

was just wondering how long it would take to get to 4ft as a 4ft+ and teeth like that i wouldnt want to scare the fish when i was doing a water change :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store