Shower tile to waterproof plywood tank

DucatiDragster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Bay Area
I'm still in the early stages of designing a 4000 gallon plywood tank.
Can I use shower tiles to make the inside waterproof instead of fiberglass?
Below is sample of what I want to do inside of the tank.

tile-shower-424.jpg

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
If the tile is not pourus I guess you could use it and silicone between the tiles but it sounds like a leak waiting to happen. Sealing a standard glass tank can be difficult enough without getting leaks but you are talking about getting a watertight seal between each and every tile. I'm not sure I'd go that route.

DucatiDragster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Bay Area
How about if I use some good grout under the tile? I really like the look of tile.

ccebr

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
England
i think that could work, but like mikehuntly said, you may need a concrete beneath the tiles. The grout isn't really meant for all the weight of the water, so might crack under the pressure. You might want to speak to a tiler, and get an opinion on a grout suitable

DucatiDragster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Bay Area
Any tilers in here?

naten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2010
south carolina
No way. Even with a schluter membrane on the cement board it won't work. You could make a watertight tank then tile it. Tiled shower surrounds and tubs are not meant to hold water for long periods of time.

DucatiDragster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Bay Area
naten;4480984; said:
No way. Even with a schluter membrane on the cement board it won't work. You could make a watertight tank then tile it. Tiled shower surrounds and tubs are not meant to hold water for long periods of time.
Thanks bud, that's all I needed to know. Your answer was straight forward and that's what I wanted. Fiberglass seems to pricey to do with a big footprint. But I guess it is what it is.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
You can tile a tank and use silicone for the grout lines. The ONLY problem would be a tank shift and a tile cracks making a leak. I want to make my snapper a bigger tank out of tile. I have absolutely no fears of this. Epoxy grout is 100% water proof but $$$.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store