Shy in new tank

AndrewK

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2020
Sterling Heights Michigan
So about 4 days ago i moved my salvini pair from my 180 community/geo tank to their own 75 gallon. Since moving them they have done nothing but sit in the corner behind a bunch of artificial plants that i have hiding the heater. I dropped a few cubes of blood worms in there yesterday and i came back and they were gone so at least they eat when i’m not around. Any tips on making them active again? The temps and water parameters are the same in both tanks and the 75’s filter is full of media from the 180, the fake plants are from the 180, and there is a piece of driftwood from the 180 in there. This pair is absolutely gorgeous and id love to see them enjoying a tank to themselves. Would maybe adding some bigger tetras or dainos maybe bring them out?

7377D226-8260-4107-9182-FC556457E3FC.jpeg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Adding a type of dither fish may help. It would also suggest putting a mirror upto the side of the tank. I had my big female FH acting all shy untill I added the mirror next to the tank last night, it made a world of difference in her mood. She's up in front trying to flirt with herself more often then not. But the moment I take the mirror away she goes back into hiding and being skittish again. I don't know if it would do anything for the salvini pair ya got but it would be worth a try. I do also recommend adding a school of giant danio's or Congo tetras as dither fish. About 6-10 should be plenty.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
So about 4 days ago i moved my salvini pair from my 180 community/geo tank to their own 75 gallon. Since moving them they have done nothing but sit in the corner behind a bunch of artificial plants that i have hiding the heater. I dropped a few cubes of blood worms in there yesterday and i came back and they were gone so at least they eat when i’m not around. Any tips on making them active again? The temps and water parameters are the same in both tanks and the 75’s filter is full of media from the 180, the fake plants are from the 180, and there is a piece of driftwood from the 180 in there. This pair is absolutely gorgeous and id love to see them enjoying a tank to themselves. Would maybe adding some bigger tetras or dainos maybe bring them out?

View attachment 1406148
That male is a beast. Beautiful pair

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Gorgeous Sal's.
I agree being the only fish in the tank has them spooked. I might try adding some big tetras or the like. Maybe even small convict cichlids could work. Would stick to one gender if you go that route.
I would also keep an eye on aggression between the two. I've seen bonded pairs go south and have the male turn on the female once there are no other fish for them to protect from. The other fish's presence seems to strengthen the pair's bond since they have something to defend against, and once the fish are along the male needs something to let his aggression out on- and only the female is there. Something to be wary of.

Reactions: HybridFinatic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store