Siamese tiger fish confusion

Kingdoffishcraft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Theres been news going around that theres a $12.8k datnoid pulcher in thailand (https://www.sanook.com/news/8789102/) and I'm starting to get confused about what is a true datnoid pulcher and what's not. Any pointers on identification? I have a certin idea but i want many peoples opinion on this.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
There has been a lot in the news about that here.

Unlikely, there could be a few old Pulcher still alive after twenty odd years in a tanks here and there. The majority went to Japan. After they went extinct in Thailand, there were still some available from Cambodia. I used to have a few.

As for the one advertised, it may not be an ST. It could be a mature three bar IT. It would be difficult to tell the difference.

The main difference that I could note is that IT get bigger and bigger, where as ST used to get to about fifteen inches, and the fatten out a lot.

The advert said that there were more available. I would not trust the advertiser. There has been a little outrage at the advert. if it were real, it would be highly illegal. I think it is merely generating hype - as is frequently done on the internet.

Do not expect to ever get a real ST.

IT, NTT, NGT and AT are still available, are great fish and I recommend them all.

Reactions: Kingdoffishcraft

Kingdoffishcraft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019

Unlikely, there could be a few old Pulcher still alive after twenty odd years in a tanks here and there. The majority went to Japan. After they went extinct in Thailand, there were still some available from Cambodia. I used to have a few.

As for the one advertised, it may not be an ST. It could be a mature three bar IT. It would be difficult to tell the difference.

The main difference that I could note is that IT get bigger and bigger, where as ST used to get to about fifteen inches, and the fatten out a lot.

The advert said that there were more available. I would not trust the advertiser. There has been a little outrage at the advert. if it were real, it would be highly illegal. I think it is merely generating hype - as is frequently done on the internet.

IT, NTT, NGT and AT are still available, are great fish and I recommend them all.
Im just curious about the classification on these fish. I've been seeing people post selling juvenile ‘siamese tiger fish’ on facebook but it’s illegal to trade and sell in thailand. So I wanted your opinions on this. I think its variation of other datnoid species. That look similar. What are your opinions

2E508888-6FB2-4924-B098-ED05C2074191.jpeg

A2E8D54C-236E-4F74-B330-28132712494E.jpeg

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
IMO, all ST advertised is scam.

NTT and AT are available in Thailand, though, few people bother with AT.

There are lots of IT sold in Thailand, but they come from Indonesia.

It is easy to hope that a beautiful small three bar dat, that supposedly originates from Thailand, is a real ST. But this is just hope, and fodder for scam.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Im just curious about the classification on these fish. I've been seeing people post selling juvenile ‘siamese tiger fish’ on facebook but it’s illegal to trade and sell in thailand. So I wanted your opinions on this. I think its variation of other datnoid species. That look similar. What are your opinions

View attachment 1513787

View attachment 1513788
I'm not sure how old that photo is but those fish could be CT,Cambodian Tigers.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008

I thought they were breeding ST now in Thailand but not in large quantities.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store