Sick flowerhorn with cyst around it’s eye

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
Hi guys. My fish had cloudy eye. He’s had HITH before which I treated and was fine for the next few months. I used to see this bubble (looks like the cyst) from his nose appear whenever it seemed like he “breathed”. I was told to just treat it with salt and melafix and pimafix. Today I saw the cyst on his eye and I don’t know what it is and I’m super worried. Anything or advice would help. Thanks.

4761FEF8-6F5F-4C5D-8BEA-B73F91EFC903.jpeg

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
That’s too bad. What size of tank is he in? How often and how much do you do for water changes? Poor water quality is typically the cause of these types of recurring problems (hith, cloudy eyes, etc.)

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
That’s too bad. What size of tank is he in? How often and how much do you do for water changes? Poor water quality is typically the cause of these types of recurring problems (hith, cloudy eyes, etc.)
I believe it was of poor water quality. It's odd though because we did 30-50% every 3 days because of ammonia. It cleared up, and then his tank became blurry AGAIN and we did water changes every 2-3 days regardless. Maybe that was the issue? He's in a 5FT tank with about 500 litres of water total in there for him. Do you know if it'll get better?

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
If you are having ammonia issues it sounds like you filters aren’t cycled sufficiently. Try to get a hold of cycled filter media ASAP. Seachem’s “Safe” will reduce ammonia levels temporarily with a water change but better to have a biologically cycled system. What else is in the tank with your FH? 500 liters is certainly a good sized tank for a couple fish.

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
If you are having ammonia issues it sounds like you filters aren’t cycled sufficiently. Try to get a hold of cycled filter media ASAP. Seachem’s “Safe” will reduce ammonia levels temporarily with a water change but better to have a biologically cycled system. What else is in the tank with your FH? 500 liters is certainly a good sized tank for a couple fish.
Yeah... maybe. I've had this tank for almost a year though. At one point water was SUPER clear, that was when i started doing 2-3 water changes weekly. It was fine for about a day or so, maybe it's because dad always cleans the filter in FRESH TAP WATER. when i tell him not to? I don't know, i'm just panicking. I hate this feeling. I'll try find some Seachem safe to help it out. It's just a bare bottom tank with 2 air bubbles and himself, because he was the first ever flowerhorn we owned, he's spoilt. I just don't want him to die.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Fresh tap water is ok if you add a dechlorinater like Safe when you do it. Learn about the nitrogen cycle and things will get better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store