Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2021
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello this is my first post here and I'm hoping for some help. I've had my saum for about 6 years, he is large about 11-12 in. Recently I've notice some bloating and no poop. I did a kanaplex treatment to no avail and now I'm doing Epsom baths in hopes that he is just constipated. It looks as though there is a blockage (pic of anal area attached) and the epsom bath only restyled in a tiny pebble of poop that squeezed past the side of the blockage. His back end is buoyant and looks grossly distended. Should I try something for parasites or worms? I have never introduced any new tank mates the entire time I've had him. I have a 60g with only a bristle nose and the saum. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!saum1.jpgsaum2.jpgsaum3.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If it’s truly a retention/blockage of poop then a vet would be next step. Fish would need to be anesthetize and attempt manual removal. Don’t think meds will work.

Boofish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2021
thank you for responding. Wouldn't know where to find a vet, but do you agree in that there's a blockage? It almost looks like a bubble....

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
thank you for responding. Wouldn't know where to find a vet, but do you agree in that there's a blockage? It almost looks like a bubble....
Could be. Gotta examine the fish to tell.

Reactions: tlindsey

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
google exotic animal vet in your area -

took my two bass once to vet here - ($600) both died -

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Full grown P Bass cost a lot. Update? Would it be possible to poke it with a sterilized needle?

Michael Alebrtus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2020
try to push the poop out yourself if you dont want to involve vet like what kn04te mentioned. after manual removal, use epsom salt and ciprofloxacine with heater. Lower water level if you not using overflow will help a little.

video not in english but u can get the idea of how they do it.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store