sick of flowerhorns

AmazonPredator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
As far as do I think creating hybrids is morally wrong, not really. Breeding flowerhorns is an artform, just like breeding goldfish and breeding dogs. I think flowerhorns are fine being bred to other flowerhorns. I don't think, however, that a flowerhorn & trimac should cross, or a flowerhorn x red devil or any other combo. Would I have created flowerhorns to begin with? Hell no. Call me a purist if you will. ;)

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
AmazonPredator said:
As far as do I think creating hybrids is morally wrong, not really. Breeding flowerhorns is an artform, just like breeding goldfish and breeding dogs. I think flowerhorns are fine being bred to other flowerhorns. I don't think, however, that a flowerhorn & trimac should cross, or a flowerhorn x red devil or any other combo. Would I have created flowerhorns to begin with? Hell no. Call me a purist if you will. ;)
:iagree:

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
IMHO, breeding any hybrid animal purely for human entertainment is wrong. Thats what it is too - just for our entertainment!? :(

All the deformaties this creates, the suffering of the animals that end up with physical problems due to being cross bred or in bred to retain a certain genetic trait. Not to mention how many offspring are culled to get to a point where 'WE' are happy with the appearance of the genetic mutant in question?

Nature has developed creatures with certain genetic traits over millions of years to suit a particular lifestyle/habitat for that creature, if we think we can mix this all up, create a creature that looks better to us aesthetically and believe the fish is happier for it? :screwy:

You only have to look at dog breeds to see how many medical issues arise and how much certain breeds have to suffer due to the exact qualities that we humans find desireable.

AmazonPredator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
:clap Very well said. The natural forms in nature have adapted for survival purposes, not for human pleasure. Good examples include goldfish breeds that have poor swim bladders and can't even go after prepared food and persian cats that can't breathe because of their flat faces. Regardless, they look pretty and get points at the nearest show. :screwy:

Dan1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
COLUMBUS,OHIO
Amphilophus Trimaculatus pure strain really doesn't look like a high quality FH its very easy to tell the difference atleast for me but I have several flowerhorns.I will say this tho I have seen petsmart selling trimacs as flowerhorns but they were only $8. each and I don't think its on purpose some were flowerhorns. There suppliers are to blame for that one!!

Zygaena

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
Philippines
hardb0iled said:
IMHO, breeding any hybrid animal purely for human entertainment is wrong. Thats what it is too - just for our entertainment!?

But isn't fishkeeping essentially for human entertainment anyway?

I keep natural breeds and hybrids, including flower horns, for the same reason: I think they're awesome and beautiful creatures.

Moreover, aren't many of the fish in trade bred to fetch the highest prices?

IMO, the natural world encompasses human intervention just as it does the natural kind. What we've done to this planet is already impacting on natural evolutionary processes. Good or bad, human activity IS part of the natural order.

What's this got to do with fishkeepers? Plenty!

Five years ago, some idiot decided to dump his plecos into a major river system near here. Today, they've edged out indigenous species and are taking over the ecosystem.

Then again, when an entire ecosystem dies, naturally or unnaturally, it's possible the only survivors could be swimming happily in someone's tank.

JESS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
SPOKANE WA
I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM HYBRIDS AT ALL AFTER ALL THE WHOLE AQUIRUIM TRADE IS FOR HUMAN ENJOYMENT WETHER YOU ARE A PURIST OR NOT YOUR TANK IS FOR YOU PLEASURE SO BASICALLY IT IS WHAT EVER CATHES YOUR EYE AND ATTENTION THEN WHAT YOUR POCKET BOOK WILL ALLOW YOU TO AQUIRE

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
JESS said:
I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM HYBRIDS AT ALL AFTER ALL THE WHOLE AQUIRUIM TRADE IS FOR HUMAN ENJOYMENT WETHER YOU ARE A PURIST OR NOT YOUR TANK IS FOR YOU PLEASURE SO BASICALLY IT IS WHAT EVER CATHES YOUR EYE AND ATTENTION THEN WHAT YOUR POCKET BOOK WILL ALLOW YOU TO AQUIRE
I agree, i'm with you on that!! :thumbsup:

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
i was not trying to say anyhting against hybrids only for this reason

alot of fish are hybrids in the industry

most live bearers
gourami
discus
angels