Sick Rope

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
Okay, so I recently got 3 juvie ropes and two of the ropes are absolutley fine living their best rope life, already eating and whatnot... one is chilling at the bottom and hardly moves, just moves from one side of the tank to the other occasionally. He's hanging in there, but he seems to be breathing very heavily. Nitrates are still orange, could that be it? My tank is very aerated, and like I said, no other fish seem lethargic.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Okay, so I recently got 3 juvie ropes and two of the ropes are absolutley fine living their best rope life, already eating and whatnot... one is chilling at the bottom and hardly moves, just moves from one side of the tank to the other occasionally. He's hanging in there, but he seems to be breathing very heavily. Nitrates are still orange, could that be it? My tank is very aerated, and like I said, no other fish seem lethargic.
Probably not the nitrates. They are wild caught and they use a variety of catch methods most involve chemicals. I don't know the actual numbers but alot die before being captive for more then a year. Some because of the chemicals some from climbing out of the tank still others from the multitude of parasites.

Reactions: magpie and tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Try and reduce stress. Keep ur nitrates down and keep an eye on it.

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
Probably not the nitrates. They are wild caught and they use a variety of catch methods most involve chemicals. I don't know the actual numbers but alot die before being captive for more then a year. Some because of the chemicals some from climbing out of the tank still others from the multitude of parasites.
I am still within my 7 days; do you think I should return it to my LFS?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I am still within my 7 days; do you think I should return it to my LFS?
The only person who can answer that for sure is you. It may just take some time for it to acclimate. Although the others are fine.....

Hard to say. Might be best for you. Usually once they eat well they will be fine, thats when the getting into weird spots comes in. You know climbing out of the tank and in to the filter or on the floor.

I know you said they qt for a week. Do they treat with anything for parasites or anything else?

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
The only person who can answer that for sure is you. It may just take some time for it to acclimate. Although the others are fine.....

Hard to say. Might be best for you. Usually once they eat well they will be fine, thats when the getting into weird spots comes in. You know climbing out of the tank and in to the filter or on the floor.

I know you said they qt for a week. Do they treat with anything for parasites or anything else?
Yes, they were actually being medicated for a week prior to that, and then were under observation for another week

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
I am also using Seachem Polyguard... they are on their second dose. As for getting into mischief... lucky my overflow has very thin slats that they can't fit into. (They have thoroughly checked it out) and the top of the tank has two holes, both covered by pieces of acrylic, both (since the edition of the ropes) weighed down. There is a small gap where the cords to the bubbler and heater goes in, but I will be cutting the acrylic lid to fit securely around that soon. They would still have to lift it somehow to escape, but I'm not taking the chance. I think all the plants and the drift wood and irritating all my other polys is keeping them entertained lol

Reactions: twentyleagues

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
15674512797548760426060990936304.jpg
Did another water change this morning and the nitrates seem to be around 10ppm instead of the 40 they were at before ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store