Sick Tiger Oscar

FishyCarChick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Lake Ariel, PA
Hey everyone, I just got back from Petsmart, I went to get an albino oscar, and ended up taking home two oscars. One was a freebie because he's ill. He has plenty of fight in him and thrashed and jumped when they bagged him up. Now my question is this: Any ideas as what it could be and what meds I'll need for him? He just lays on his side, he's breathing normally and has no outward signs of trauma, there's no wounds or fungus. I have him in a hospital tank with no decor and a sand bed.
Thanks!

I'll post a pic when I have him out of the bag.

FishyCarChick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Lake Ariel, PA
Alrighty he's out of the bag and swimming around happily in his hospital tank. I've heard that Oscars sulk? Could I have lucked out and gotten a free, HEALTHY fish, that's just a drama queen?
Best shot I could get, sorry about the cloudy water, he got all the sand stirred up.

20160531_193946.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Alrighty he's out of the bag and swimming around happily in his hospital tank. I've heard that Oscars sulk? Could I have lucked out and gotten a free, HEALTHY fish, that's just a drama queen?
Best shot I could get, sorry about the cloudy water, he got all the sand stirred up.

View attachment 1185969

pops pops

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
all off my little healthy oscars have been at the tank wanting to eat right off the bat long as they where the only one in the tank, sulking can be a sign he is either ill or stressed. watch for ropy clear or white poop. long as he eats and is happy alone he is more than likes fine and was just stressed from the other fish in the tank.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
as always, with any fish you bring home new its always good to treat them with a course of paragaurd.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
What is he sick with? What are the symptoms? I can't really tell from the pictures, but it almost looks like he has fin rot.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
if you are looking at the white fringe thats grow out line, not fin rot.

Reactions: FishyCarChick

FishyCarChick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Lake Ariel, PA
What is he sick with? What are the symptoms? I can't really tell from the pictures, but it almost looks like he has fin rot.
I think he's not really sick with anything, his fins are a tiny bit ragged. They said he just came in today. So that I just attributed to stress... I'm going to keep him in the hospital tank for a few more days JUST to make sure it's not a parasite. If it's fin rot I have the meds for that.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

FishyCarChick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Lake Ariel, PA
He's not eaten as of yet, I put him into the big tank yesterday. He still seems listless and sort of drifts from a swim to falling to the bottom of the tank. I DO see a little bit of a white mark on his forehead above his eye. I haven't medicated with anything as of yet, except treating his hospital tank with a dose of Paragaurd.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store