Silicon Drying Time???

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Repairing/replacing the entire vertical seam on my 125 gal but unsure of drying time. I picked up GE 100% silicon which I've read in multiple place is just as good as all the aquarium silicon you find in pet stores. I've read conflicting info on the drying times which has been 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours, all the way up to one week. Problem is I have several large fish temporarily house in my 55 gal which is not large enough for them so the sooner I can make this repair, the better but I need it done properly as 125 gallons of water on the living room floor will make for one very pissed off wife. Thoughts?

Reactions: boldtogether

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
OK thanks but here's another question. I had picked up some regular aquarium sealant from petsmart but now reading that won't work for a 125 gal and that I need and adhesive sealant. Well I've been reading up on that too and have read a ton of ones to use and not to use. I'm very limited on time so I can't reseal the whole tank like I want to and have to just focus on the one corner joint. I've read about RTV 100, 103, and 108 but have read a few other products out there work too such as DAP All Purpose adhesive/sealant, GE Silicon I, and a couple others. The DAP and the GE Silicon I are both readily available but which one would be better for a 125 gal FW tank?

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
DO NOT USE DAP!!!! Caps for yelling.....silicon and only silicon...
GE I....
Why the 125 limitation I wonder?
I would give it a good 24-48.hrs. If the silicon is clear and hard (hard by silicon standards).it should be ok.
Silicon will actually cure underwater...but I wouldn't trust the bond..but I have sealed in an emergency and it worked until I could empty and dry things out.
If the mfr says 24, it is safe to go 36 or 48...72 is just a little excessive IMO...

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
The DAP says safe for aquariums right on the front package. I don't it cured underwater as I have the tank drained. I just need a good strong bond that will last and safe for fish.

Tank.jpg

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Use the ge1 for the side reseal the hole inside of the aquarium and leave it for 72 hours. The only reason I would leave it for us hours is because of the hight of the tank you want a good cure between the glass and reseal the hole I side of the tank because old silicone doesn't stick to new silicone very well you might end up with a leak if you don't reseal the hole inside.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I would reseal the whole tank while there. take about 9 hours start to finish.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The gap where the glass has separated from the front and side looks as if it runs almost the entire height of the tank so I also vote for a total repair. I can't see what type of trim is at the top and bottom of the tank but I think it will be difficult to get a good bond between the front and side panes. Plus the stress on the separation may have compromised the other seals on the tank.

Can you buy a Rubbermaid stock tank as a temporary holding tank for your fish? They come in 50G up to 300G and are available at farm supply stores.

As to your drying time question, I like to wait 7 days after a tank reseal.

Reactions: boldtogether
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store