Silicone

canucksfan1

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
gibsons
The only silicon i could find that is 100% silicon says that it is not recommended for continuos underwater use so could i use it?????

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
canucksfan1;796628; said:
The only silicon i could find that is 100% silicon says that it is not recommended for continuos underwater use so could i use it?????

ime they all say that....what are you going to do with it ????

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
They make an aquarium safe silicon that you should be able to get at your LFS or online. Couple of people on here also know of some at Home Depot that is safe but I can't remember the exact name. Must be old age creeping up.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I use GE type 1 without mildew resistance.
Generally if it's safe for food contact surfaces it's safe for aquariums.

canucksfan1

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
gibsons
I'm Planning on using it to reaseal the aquarium i have, i was also wondering if i epoxy the piece of plywood goin on the bottom of the tank over the steel that is currntly there if silicon will stick to it?

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
canucksfan1;796707; said:
I'm Planning on using it to reaseal the aquarium i have, i was also wondering if i epoxy the piece of plywood goin on the bottom of the tank over the steel that is currntly there if silicon will stick to it?
what materials will the silicone need to hold to ???

is the plywood going inside the tank after epoxy or underneath ??

canucksfan1

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
gibsons
The plywood is going inside and it will need to be sealed to the glass

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
canucksfan1;796724; said:
The plywood is going inside and it will need to be sealed to the glass
ok i think i got it.........you could cover the ply with epoxy ( none toxic type)........for water proofing

i would then rough up the epoxy coating about 2 inches all the way around to give the silicone a bite... make sure the glass is super clean and test it outdoors when you are none........

might be the same price to get a sheet of glass to drop in the bottom and then seal.....

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
I use the ge type 1 window and door,never had a problem,it sort of sticks to wood and metal but not very well,I wouldnt trust it to form a long term seal on anything but glass.If the pieces are arranged so the silicone is just a gasket then it could work if well done.

canucksfan1

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
gibsons
well a piece of glass would cost alot of money and i already have a piece of plywood to use, the galss would have to be 7 feet by 3.3 feet so don't think i can afford to go that route, could i use a pond liner on the bottom and glue it to the galss around the edges of the bottom???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store