Silver aro with Texas cichlid?

Ryan1783

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
So I have a 150 grow out tank and i wanted to know if I could put my Texas cichlid in there with my arowana would this work, so far I've be able to keep him with much smaller fish in a smaller tank, silver aro is about 12 inches Texas is about 8 inches, so would this work?

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
So I have a 150 grow out tank and i wanted to know if I could put my Texas cichlid in there with my arowana would this work, so far I've be able to keep him with much smaller fish in a smaller tank, silver aro is about 12 inches Texas is about 8 inches, so would this work?
For a silver to be put with any mild to aggressive cichlids depends on a few things
Size: it's gotta be at least twice the size as the cichlid
Personality: are either of them overly aggressive or territorial
Space: how much room, Arowanas normal got the top cichlids are bottom to mid only top when feeding
Luck: even with all the other things it's just luck if ur willing to risk it go for it most of the time the cichlids batters the passive Arowana. Silvers aren't normally very aggressive until around 1 ft and a half to 2ft and cichlids are mean from birth if u notice nipping and chasing separate and u could try a divider first to see how they react but I would recommend at least for the Arowana to be bigger but not too big the rule for arowanas is the tank mate cannot fit inside the mouth of it doesn't most the time your good

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I think it's possible but not with just the two. Many fish will ignore fish significantly smaller because they pose no threat. Where as a fish of similar size or slightly larger poses a threat to its territory and its food, which is where aggression tends to stem from. However you can come across a specimen who is just mean for no apparent reason.

To make it work I think you need dithers like SD or larger species of barbs other wise the aro will be picked on.

Reactions: tlindsey

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I've kept a aro with a Texas. The Texas was bigger then aro and I had no problem but then my Texas was not aggressive as he was kept with larger American cichlids

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store