silver aro's with dropeye

bugz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
West
i love silvers.... but drop eye....

i dunno... my silver is still doin alrite ...... hope he is doin good in da future

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
it happens to asian aros too. ;)

i really think its genetics cos you don't see fat aros having it. so can it be due to fatty foods?

60mm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2006
va
my 7" as it in one eye and all i have ever fed him is hakari floating food sticks.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
my 7" as it in one eye and all i have ever fed him is hakari floating food sticks.
another reason that I believe its genetic. they're still great fish though:thumbsup:

foxhound

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
MI
i also think it is genetics. just as 60mm said my 9 inch has it in one eye and i have only fed him floating sticks and crickets on occasion. he is still real pretty even with the funny eye.

later, dave

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
usually starts when silvers pass the 1 foot mark. i think its genetic too, coz i've seen and heard of people raising 2 or more silvers and feeding them the same diet but not all get the drop-eye. so i guess its really the inbreeding thats pulluing the species down.

ey, jsodwi! how'd you come by a wild caught silver dude? :naughty:

moxxommox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2006
Australia, Sydney
With the Asians, I have a 26 -27inch silver aro, he has been feed the best pellets his whole life, as well as feeders, general crappy goldies/red caps/moors. etc.. just what ever was around. he has perfect eyes, and not to mention scales which are fantastic :p I've had him for roughly 6/7 years. I think I am safe to say he won't get dropeye.

From what I've read and shared with other aro keepers in Australia/Sydney, they say that a number of things diet, environment etc...

The most common thing from what I hear is, having no sand/rock/gravel or light coloured gravel/sand making shadow from the lights above, or no gravel so the reflection of the aro is always there, since the aro is always on the move, it's looking down at itself thinking it's other fish and years of looking down creates drop eye, also allot of movement below can trigger it. I have stayed clear of over populating my 6x6x6 aquarium. I have a few gars and some plecos, all of which are dark with black rock on the bottom cutting out the shaddow and alot of movement below him. but he is the largest and most active in the tank anyway!

I have had a 18inch (asian) aro develop drop eye over a 1 year period also, so I think it may have to do with environment. That is a personal opinion though it can not be backed up, I enjoy my aros a lot, but I had to sell one of them, which was about 13inch long, and with in 1 year it got drop eye, the guy who I sold it to didn’t have gravel..

I wish I knew how to 100 percent prevent it, but I have a feeling it's generic and also it's environment. But that’s just my personal opinion.

Cheers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store