Silver arowana

TheOscarFishKing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2017
What are all of the requirements for these guys I especially need min tank size at full grown

loganh83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
The Lone Star State
This has been discussed many many times. I have a 240 (8x2x2) and I believe it is plenty for a silver. I plan to put a silver in it one day. I had a silver in a 210 in college but I think the extra length of the 240 is perfcet. Many will say that 24 inches wide is too small for a fish that gets 3 feet long. Remember, however, that an aro is very flexible and turns in a really tight space.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Full grown silver arowana are truly massive fish. I personally know of one that is 51" in captivity. This is not the norm, but it is not uncommon for a silver to reach 36 to 40 inches in short order. Remember, they can live for 50+ years! A 4 feet front to back tank should be considered absolute minimum for long term housing. 8 feet length. These fish develop a lot of issues when kept in too small of a tank. They get jumpy, refuse food, develop gill curl, all kinds of things that drastically reduce their life span. A happy arowana is a wonderful pet. I can hand feed mine and even pet him. Go big if you want to get the most out of the experience. If you can handle the headaches, cram one in too small a tank.

Reactions: MariaS and tlindsey

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
This has been discussed many many times. I have a 240 (8x2x2) and I believe it is plenty for a silver. I plan to put a silver in it one day. I had a silver in a 210 in college but I think the extra length of the 240 is perfcet. Many will say that 24 inches wide is too small for a fish that gets 3 feet long. Remember, however, that an aro is very flexible and turns in a really tight space.
lol so I can see put you in a room 4x4 6 foots height then you would live happy for life right? since it's more than enough room for you to turn around...So we don't need 5000 sq home to live and feel comfy...

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Just this....
They all get drop eye in tanks too, if you want a silver in a tank get a black, if you can't afford a black you can't afford a tank to house one.
If you only have a 2ft wide tank never consider a silver it's cruel, get a Jardini, even then it's tight but at least a jar will refuse you shoving ten more fish in by way of murdering everything lol.

Screenshot_2017-07-12-14-25-04.png

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I am probably going to have everyone jumping on me but personally... I feel a 8 foot... 2.5m? tank is not enough for a full gown silver at about 4/5 years old that has been well fed and grown nicely
She should then reach 1m long and about 15cm height, girth, give or take ....
When she gets to that size... even a 3.6m tank is not too big..
You can not imagine the power it has at that size until you live with one...
They also moody and temperamental and when they decide to jump or have their moments breaking glass is an easy feat for them.
So... just think carefully before you make a decision

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Personally I feel that Silver Aro's should only be permitted to Public Aquarium's only but unfortunately greed of making a profit off the prehistoric fish stands in the way this has been going on for many years.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Or to people like vincentwugwg vincentwugwg lol! I do plan to build a much larger tank for mine next year. Right now it's 17 inches, and it's in an 8 foot by 40 inch tank...quite comfortable for now. I actually bought a swimming pool to set up in my basement if for some reason I can't finish the tank fast enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store