Silver arrow died?!?!?!?!?

Slayer_will

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2018
So a few months ago my girlfriend bought me a silver arrow, he has been doing great eating every day growing, but this morning I wake up and he's dead. I noticed yesterday something was a little odd tho, he was spending a decent amount of time in the middle of the tank and when he did go to the surface he wouldn't swim his normal laps he'd kind of just sit and swim into the current from the filter. He's eaten freeze dried shrimp and blood worms since I got him, I started feeding him larger ones from a different company a few days ago with the heads on them. On the small ones I'd give him the whole thing but I always took the heads off the bigger ones. He also ate a cut up cichlid cube the other day (intended for a baby red tail catfish in the tank) and he did not eat the next day but I just figured he was digesting so didn't think anything of it. Anything will help trying to prevent this from happening again (was my favorite fish so I'm going to get another), if theirs anything you can think of please let me know.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I can think your etc will be out growing the new one and eating him unless you get a big one pal.
Could be anything, maybe he spooked and banged the glass hard?

Reactions: tlindsey

Slayer_will

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2018
So I wasn't home and got the call that the arrow was dead, now that I see what's left I have to think my red bellied paku ate him, the arrows tail is completely bitten off in one large bite, same with his head, the paku is the only thing in the tank that could of done this, has anyone herd of this happening before

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Never heard of Pacus being aggresive. It was probably dead before it got chewed up. You mentioned it was already swimming abnormally before.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If it truly is a Pacu and not a piranha of some sort, im pretty confident it wouldn't attack your arowana. They are vegetarians, gentle giants.
How is water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? You have a monster stock that would put out a ton of ammonia, what size tank we talking?

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
If it truly is a Pacu and not a piranha of some sort, im pretty confident it wouldn't attack your arowana. They are vegetarians, gentle giants.
How is water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? You have a monster stock that would put out a ton of ammonia, what size tank we talking?
Must have gotten too personal with your questions :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store