Silver (AT) Datnoids

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
I'm doing a lot of research on datnoids after I acquired a tiny baby last night. Apparently I have a silver (AT) datnoid, although his body looks yellow to me... Anyway is it true they grow extremely slow and silver dats max size is 12 inches? In fact, one of the sites say that's the max WILD size, and in aquarium, I'd be lucky if they get 10 inches, and it will take many years. Can a single one live in a 30 or 40 gallon bare tank for life?

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Welcome to Datnoids. Silver Datnoids have, in my opinion, the least sensical names of all tigers. While the silver part males some sense as they do have a silverish sheen to them as they get older the "A" in AT stands for American Tiger. Go figure. They generally come from India and have supposedly been reported to also be found in New Guinea.

As for growth rate, Datnoids in general grow slow relative to large SA/CA Cichlids and many kinds of Catfish. 2-3" per year can be common while some individuals grow noticably faster. A theory I have is that Datnoids kept from a very young age who's bodies are still proportionate (don't have buggy eyes and larger heads than hind quarters) seem to grow at a noticably faster rate. I've kept all Datnoids aside from ST at varying sizes and by far my fastest growers were from the "IT baby boom" around 2012 when individuals regularly came into shops at .5"-1" who more readily took to pellets and prepared foods and who grew up to 9" within about a years time looking much more proportionate than most Datnoids I've seen imported at an older age.

If you expect to raise this fish to 12" be prepared to wait a failry long time regardless as AT do seem to be slower growing than any ther Datnoid in my experience. They are also genreally the smallest variety.

Another thing to consider is that AT generally thrive in some level of brackish water. Many have kept these fish in full freshwater and claimed to have no issues and while I have seen maybe 3 individuals reach +9" in full freshwater many seem to die before reaching 6" and some level of salinity as they reach around 4" seem to really benefit them in the long run. This is the primary reason I've passed on them the last two times I considered adding one to my collection again even though I really love their unique appearance.

Lastly tank size. 30-40g would be too small. I would highly recommend a 75g if possible. This would allow you to also add some nice dither fish to maintain activity in the tank. AT tend to be the most active Datnoid be even still, they're a Datnoid, an ambush predator who will spend time hidden in a corner or under some overhanging wood or by a rock. Green Chromis are a brackish fish who like to be in small groups and would be a really nice contrast to a golden-silver AT. I would also recommend that while a glass bottom tank would force the fish to be out in the open a sandbed would offer similar benefits and as long as you have adiquate circulation you should rarely if ever need to vaccum the tank and mkst debris will sit on top of the sand rather than sink down into it as long as you clean whenever you see some mess and don't overfeed.

I hope this helps and know that though they may not be the most popular variety AT are argueably the most unique and personable Datnoids out there. If you have any other questions I'd be glad to help where I can.

Reactions: Matteus and Durio

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
Kind of deterring me from my dat :p

Definatley not trying to keep a brackfish fish, if I just invest in him for years and he dies before 6 inches because of this, that would really suck...

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Well keeping a fish in brackish conditions is actually a lot easier than you would think. If I recall it requires about 1/5 the amount of salt a saltwater tank does. I plan on setting one up someday with a Silver Datnoid, Archerfish and maybe some Scats or Monos.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
silvers are fun. i love mine. doesnt really compare to an IT or NTT though for growth rate. super super slow.

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Welcome to Datnoids. Silver Datnoids have, in my opinion, the least sensical names of all tigers. While the silver part males some sense as they do have a silverish sheen to them as they get older the "A" in AT stands for American Tiger. Go figure. They generally come from India and have supposedly been reported to also be found in New Guinea.

As for growth rate, Datnoids in general grow slow relative to large SA/CA Cichlids and many kinds of Catfish. 2-3" per year can be common while some individuals grow noticably faster. A theory I have is that Datnoids kept from a very young age who's bodies are still proportionate (don't have buggy eyes and larger heads than hind quarters) seem to grow at a noticably faster rate. I've kept all Datnoids aside from ST at varying sizes and by far my fastest growers were from the "IT baby boom" around 2012 when individuals regularly came into shops at .5"-1" who more readily took to pellets and prepared foods and who grew up to 9" within about a years time looking much more proportionate than most Datnoids I've seen imported at an older age.

If you expect to raise this fish to 12" be prepared to wait a failry long time regardless as AT do seem to be slower growing than any ther Datnoid in my experience. They are also genreally the smallest variety.

Another thing to consider is that AT generally thrive in some level of brackish water. Many have kept these fish in full freshwater and claimed to have no issues and while I have seen maybe 3 individuals reach +9" in full freshwater many seem to die before reaching 6" and some level of salinity as they reach around 4" seem to really benefit them in the long run. This is the primary reason I've passed on them the last two times I considered adding one to my collection again even though I really love their unique appearance.

Lastly tank size. 30-40g would be too small. I would highly recommend a 75g if possible. This would allow you to also add some nice dither fish to maintain activity in the tank. AT tend to be the most active Datnoid be even still, they're a Datnoid, an ambush predator who will spend time hidden in a corner or under some overhanging wood or by a rock. Green Chromis are a brackish fish who like to be in small groups and would be a really nice contrast to a golden-silver AT. I would also recommend that while a glass bottom tank would force the fish to be out in the open a sandbed would offer similar benefits and as long as you have adiquate circulation you should rarely if ever need to vaccum the tank and mkst debris will sit on top of the sand rather than sink down into it as long as you clean whenever you see some mess and don't overfeed.

I hope this helps and know that though they may not be the most popular variety AT are argueably the most unique and personable Datnoids out there. If you have any other questions I'd be glad to help where I can.
Question...you mentioned tankmates..I got 3 3.5in blood red parrots in a 150 gal with 5 3.5 to 6in Sumatra Datnoids. The parrots work as a team to keep Dats pinned in corners during feeding even though they cant eat the chunks of silver sides or krill or what ever I put in. The parrots cant hurt them they just bully them so they don't eat. kinda hard to get the Dats on pellets. anything the Dats show intrest in the parrots push them. I'm taking the Parrots out. Dats ate good before tank mates but did not swim around. What are good Tank mates that will eat same foods/pellets

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store