Single Species; Frontosa

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Gamble said:
Tx buds, will keep that in mind..
There's a certain kindda pellet for sale here in Singapore, from what I heard, it really maxed out my friends oscars in a very short period, they became monsters..
I'll try to get my hands on some and post some pics, see if you guys tried it before...Oh..it's brandless btw :22_yikes:

Anything will max out an Oscar fast.. The growth rate on them is incredible.

Just some food for thought.. I was under the impression that most of the rift lake cichlids have a veggetiation based diet. I would go with a combination of BeefHeart for intense growth, but at the same time a mixture of veggies for a well-rounded diet. I have seen a few companies who put out a 'Spirulina Cichlid Stick', which infact has a picture of a frontosa on it. I would reccomend making sure he gets a good share of veggies and variety ;) All Meat for an African cichlid can't be the most optimal growth setting, IMO..

Perfect water quality will help.. I have also heard for 'power' growth, daily water changes will help as well. It was once explained to me by a person who bred plecos that there are organic wastes that collect in the water that we can not test for.. As well as fish will use certain micro-nutrients found in tap water, which will quickly get depleted. She changes 70% a day on her rare Plecos when she is breeding them, as well as feeds them 5-6 times a day. They grow at a ridicolous rate.

TankGurl

Feeder Fish
Jul 19, 2005
London, ONT
www.picturetrail.com
Caveman said:
My Frontosa loved shrimp sticks and Hikari pellets but will generally eat anything. That will be a good sized colony that should start producing alot of fry in a year or two. If I had the tankspace I would also do a frontosa colony tank. Good luck!

I feed my colony with New Life Spectrum, supplementing every week with brine shrimp, krill or bloodworms. I've found you get outstanding results with NLS. My alpha male went from 3" to 5" in 8 weeks when I switched my primary food. In fact, I'm getting about a 1/2 inch growth ratio with every front in my colony per month.

Frequent water changes will also super charge growth. I do 2 30% changes every 4-5 days or so.

Kelly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store