Sinking Vegetables

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I have just cut some small cucumbers down the middle, skewered them on stainless steel forks, tied string to the forks and dropped them in a couple of tanks. The L numbers love them. A 137 was straight on one piece.

There will probably be some left tomorrow, but by the day after, there will just be a gooey mess of rotting cucumber peel floating around and messing up the overflows.

I don't have this problem with sinking spirulina pellets. They stay on the bottom till they are eaten. But any veg that I try gets somewhat eaten, or even mostly eaten, but always ends up messy. I am not too keen on having stainless steel forks and bits of string in the tank, not really aesthetic.

What vegetables are there - that L numbers like - that sink?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I used to have the very same dilemma. I got fed up of it. Honestly, i'd stick to your tried and tested spirulina pellets. Terrestrial based veggies aren't particularly nutritional anyway, and can be messy. I found that veggies tend to go through the fish pretty quick and my filters used to clog up with the resulting crud.

Granted, plecos do seem to love tucking into veggies, rasping on them and such, but you can get quite large wafers nowadays that serve the same purpose. Maybe something for you to think about.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I’d like to add honeydew melon to this list. I’ve only tried from frozen so far. I had some rind in the freezer that I used. I usually put it on a fork but it fell off shortly after dropping it in and stayed sunken.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store