Six GATF from Wes

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
That fish looks very similar to my Max in both color and shape, but it doesn't appear to have lost it's color in clear water. I find that very interesting. I wonder if the water needed to simply be soft instead of black. I didn't try that.
yeah I don't know if his water was soft or hard. This guy was 9-10" and died a week after JLSEF9 JLSEF9 acquired it :( (banged its head against the wall hard).

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
yeah I don't know if his water was soft or hard. This guy was 9-10" and died a week after JLSEF9 JLSEF9 acquired it :( (banged its head against the wall hard).
Damn we lose way too many like that :(

If he's willing to share any more pictures, of really like to see them.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa

Any idea why they do this?

I'm wondering what sort of tank size would really be needed for one of these leviathans long term

Reactions: Chicxulub

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US

I asked him already and he doesn’t have anymore pictures:/.

Any idea why they do this?

I'm wondering what sort of tank size would really be needed for one of these leviathans long term
They just get spooked and run into things, and the farther they travel / accelerate the more damage they’ll do to themselves.
There is an aquarist that I follow on Instagram from Indonesia who has a 3’+ Goliath in an enclosure that is around 3000 gallons (eyeballing). He posts videos of that monster every now and then and the fish seems happy in there.

Edit: a pic of the monster https://instagram.com/p/BRmwLNIAicQ/

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
My long standing belief is that people give them too much space. When I started keeping my growouts in a 20l until they were settled and used to the happenings of my home, I stopped having this mysterious losses. I think when new atf are kept in a larger tank, they spook and have enough room to build up sufficient speed to harm themselves. Once they're settled and used to a human-dependant feeding regime, the spooking deaths generally stop.

Reactions: Quason778

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
My long standing belief is that people give them too much space. When I started keeping my growouts in a 20l until they were settled and used to the happenings of my home, I stopped having this mysterious losses. I think when new atf are kept in a larger tank, they spook and have enough room to build up sufficient speed to harm themselves. Once they're settled and used to a human-dependant feeding regime, the spooking deaths generally stop.
Makes a lot of sense, I'm wondering if all of them need flow. If I recall correctly some live in lakes (especially in SA) or at least flooded swamplands

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Makes a lot of sense, I'm wondering if all of them need flow. If I recall correctly some live in lakes (especially in SA) or at least flooded swamplands
Yeah, I mentioned as such in the sticky. Flow isn't important to ATF, oxygenation is. Flow is only useful because it helps to prevent them from building up so much speed. This was lost in translation over the years, and I think people have completely glossed over my mention of the open water habitat.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yeah, I mentioned as such in the sticky. Flow isn't important to ATF, oxygenation is. Flow is only useful because it helps to prevent them from building up so much speed. This was lost in translation over the years, and I think people have completely glossed over my mention of the open water habitat.
Ah okay, decent airation isn't too hard to achieve. Most of my fish breathe air anyway haha.

I'd totally do a native pond with a viewing window. VATF, clarias or schilbe cats and such with reed beds and lots of emerging plant growth maybe. One day...
My natives are better! :p

Why do tigers have to be so big, maybe one day... 8x3 for VATF isn't too bad. You must contact Paul Skelton :)

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I asked him already and he doesn’t have anymore pictures:/.

They just get spooked and run into things, and the farther they travel / accelerate the more damage they’ll do to themselves.
There is an aquarist that I follow on Instagram from Indonesia who has a 3’+ Goliath in an enclosure that is around 3000 gallons (eyeballing). He posts videos of that monster every now and then and the fish seems happy in there.

Edit: a pic of the monster https://instagram.com/p/BRmwLNIAicQ/
That's the one that kills everything lol from what I've heard

Reactions: sunnysjourney
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store