Size matters?

Mkvc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2021
I ordered three bichirs online with the intention of growing them out together in my 210g. They were from different places and were supposed to be 3” each. My ornate is somewhere around 2”, my delheIzi is maybe 3.5”, and the plat senegal is pushing 5”. I floated them together for a few minutes before pulling the ornate and putting him in my 30g tropical community instead because I’m worried about him being eaten. He’s maybe half as thick as the senegal.

Am I being over cautious? Will the ornate eventually catch up to the other two? I’ve only had senegals before so I’m not sure how tricky mixing species will be.

SpecialKay

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2022
There's always a risk, but your ornate should be fine. I've grown out a 2 incher del with a 6 inch palt sen before without any problems, and a 1 inch mok with a 5 inche plat sen as well. Ornates tend to grow quickly, while plat sens generally grow slower due to immense inbreeding. As long as you keep them fed, it should be alright to keep together.

There is always the possibility of them eating each other, even if small. It's really down to their individual personalities.

EelWranglerSeb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2022
they’re the definition of “opportunistic predators”. My largest bichir, delhezi at 9”, only started trying to eat smaller bichir once she was 7” and always on a day I was fasting them. Sounds like yours are all small enough to be fine, from what I’ve heard Ornates are one of the fastest growers so you won’t be anxious for long. Feed them everyday so they’re not tempted and grow faster

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Not sure if that’s the exact same senegal (got a group of similar size) but yah ornate still been good with the little Senegals.

AA1637DA-ACE7-43C5-8B93-65A2FDEBBC03.jpeg

36C663B8-A709-4C0A-82D6-D35E2BF87DD0.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

Mkvc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2021
Thanks for the input! Guess I'm probably being a lil overcautious... I really want to keep the ornate with his buddies so I'll move him over as soon as I can catch him.

Hao Hao Your ornate is gorgeous! Hope mine grows up like that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store