Slow bass growth

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Hello all, I am having some problems with a peacock bass growing extremely slow, and after looking for awhile I cannot figure out why he is not growing at anything close to the rate that others are seeing. To give some background, I got him when he was around 5-6 inches long, and now almost a year later he is only 7-8inches. From reading other posts it seems that most of you are seeing growth of around an inch per month while they are small like this. I was wondering if somebody could point out what I might be doing wrong as this is my first time keeping cichla. For reference, he is in a 600g tank with a ray and other predator fish, the temp is 78F and the parameters are all in check with PH being 7.4 and nitrates sit around 15. I feed once a day at the same time, and feed raw fish when I have it as well as NLS and other pellets. Usually I feed for 2-3 minuets until he doesn't act as aggressive towards the food. I would just keep feeding to see if the growth improves, but eventually little interest is shown, and the arrowana that the tank is shared with will be the only one still eating. Is this small amount of growth normal? Am I missing something? I think the bass is healthy but the slow growth is bothering me. Any suggestions would be great as I would like to see him put on some size and fill out the tank. Here is a picture from a couple months ago but he still looks the same as he really has not grown. basss.JPG

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Possibly a runt because you are doing everything else as far as getting the Pbass to grow.

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Possibly a runt because you are doing everything else as far as getting the Pbass to grow.
Hmm I was afraid that it might be something like that. Is there anything I can do to try and stimulate quick growth? I would just like to keep him similar size to the arrowana in the tank that is growing like a monster so he doesn't get bullied.

MorningStar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2015
SoCal
Nice looking Orino though. I notice the Orinos I have are slow growing too. They don't eat as good as the rest. I got the Kels last and they out grew them already and are already 4.5" while they're still 3.5" or so. I don't even know my water parameters but whatever I'm doing is working and I have no problems besides over feeding and having a bunch of ditritus that I just got rid of. How many bass do you have in your tank?

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Nice looking Orino though. I notice the Orinos I have are slow growing too. They don't eat as good as the rest. I got the Kels last and they out grew them already and are already 4.5" while they're still 3.5" or so. I don't even know my water parameters but whatever I'm doing is working and I have no problems besides over feeding and having a bunch of ditritus that I just got rid of. How many bass do you have in your tank?
Thanks! I have heard that they are slower but this was much slower than I was expecting. I just have the one bass for now, don't wanna overdo my bio-load, but already the colors on the fish even at this small are making me consider picking up another

MorningStar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2015
SoCal
Thanks! I have heard that they are slower but this was much slower than I was expecting. I just have the one bass for now, don't wanna overdo my bio-load, but already the colors on the fish even at this small are making me consider picking up another
It's ok, I have 9 bass, 5 Dats, & 2 SD's. Bio seems to be ok. All are in one 55 gallon too! Hahahaha

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
You ever treat it for internal parasites? That can stunt them. Pic of the fish looks good but a fish can look good and still have them.

Reactions: MorningStar

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
It's ok, I have 9 bass, 5 Dats, & 2 SD's. Bio seems to be ok. All are in one 55 gallon too! Hahahaha
That's quite a few bass! Might end up getting a few more later down the road.

You ever treat it for internal parasites? That can stunt them. Pic of the fish looks good but a fish can look good and still have them.
No I have not because he looked so healthy. Got any suggestions on good treatments that are ray safe? I would rather keep him in the same tank but have heard that chemicals and rays do not mix well.

MorningStar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2015
SoCal

its way too many bass for the size tank. I would need a bigger tank than a 180 gal in the near future

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island

No I have not because he looked so healthy. Got any suggestions on good treatments that are ray safe? I would rather keep him in the same tank but have heard that chemicals and rays do not mix well.
A lot of people like using prazipro

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store