Small Fire Eel help

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I have a 8" thin fire eel from wet spot and have him in a 20g for grow out. I've had the guy about 6 months now and he is still very picky, only eating about 2 red wrigglers a week and hasn't put in much size or girth.

Does this sound abnormal or is it pretty typical for newish juvenile fire eels? He doesn't yet seem interested in chopped fish.

I have a black spot eel (m. dayi) that was purchased around 12" and has put on at least 6" in a year and is quite fat so I'm not brand new to the spiny eel game. Any help is much appreciated as the fire eel is one of my dream fish and want to make sure I'm doing him right!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 8" thin fire eel from wet spot and have him in a 20g for grow out. I've had the guy about 6 months now and he is still very picky, only eating about 2 red wrigglers a week and hasn't put in much size or girth.

Does this sound abnormal or is it pretty typical for newish juvenile fire eels? He doesn't yet seem interested in chopped fish.

I have a black spot eel (m. dayi) that was purchased around 12" and has put on at least 6" in a year and is quite fat so I'm not brand new to the spiny eel game. Any help is much appreciated as the fire eel is one of my dream fish and want to make sure I'm doing him right!

kno4te kno4te

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Doesn’t sound right. It should be putting on some size. Keep it in the 20g. Would dose prazipro and levamisole, cont to feed the red wigglers. If u can soak the e-worms in a vitamin solution, Boyd’s vitachem.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india

I have had fire eels be very picky about what they eat, for months. Sometimes even go without food for months.

I would suggest, you find some live freshwater shrimp, that you can feed it.

Earthworms are something that eels will accept readily, but that shouldn't be their staple diet, and from what you've said, this one doesn't seem to like earthworms that much.

I have grown fire eels from 10" to 30", they eat in very large amounts and are capable of growing in quick spurts once they settle in and eat regularly.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Doesn’t sound right. It should be putting on some size. Keep it in the 20g. Would dose prazipro and levamisole, cont to feed the red wigglers. If u can soak the e-worms in a vitamin solution, Boyd’s vitachem.
I did an initial dose of prazipro when he first came in, but went ahead and dosdd again yesterday.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I have had fire eels be very picky about what they eat, for months. Sometimes even go without food for months.

I would suggest, you find some live freshwater shrimp, that you can feed it.

Earthworms are something that eels will accept readily, but that shouldn't be their staple diet, and from what you've said, this one doesn't seem to like earthworms that much.

I have grown fire eels from 10" to 30", they eat in very large amounts and are capable of growing in quick spurts once they settle in and eat regularly.
At the smaller sizes, what was your main diet for the eels? All mine has ever eaten are the worms and nothing else. Guess I can try some ghost shrimp. It's just difficult to find some that aren't kept in filthy tanks as I don't want to introduce additional disease into the tank my eel is being kept in..

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
At the smaller sizes, what was your main diet for the eels? All mine has ever eaten are the worms and nothing else. Guess I can try some ghost shrimp. It's just difficult to find some that aren't kept in filthy tanks as I don't want to introduce additional disease into the tank my eel is being kept in..
Ghost shrimp I always get and freeze them for three days before feeding

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
And your eel would go for them dead? I don't think mine is ready for anything not moving...
If your eel recognises you as source of food, then it's a lot easy.

And ghost shrimp are a natural diet for them, so it's easier to get them to eat the shrimp

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Just checking in. Eel still hasn't grown much at all, yet still eats the red wrigglers. Thinking of moving on from him if this continues...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store