Small Internal UV Filter questions

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I recently picked up this Aquael Uni Filter 750 UV as an addition to my tank filtration, which is based around the internal (not sure if you'd call it a sump or canister or what, see pic below) filter, with a couple of power heads w/ filters as supplementary. According to specs the Aquael is just enough for my 80g/300L tank (they were out of the larger model).

The little UV light is actually removable, and on a different power cord, as you can see in the other pic.

My questions I hope to get any opinions on are:
1) How effective is so small a UV light going to be in mid-size tank? (I know it won't kill parasites, so I mean insofar as algae control and bad bacteria. I don't currently have any algae problem, just looking for a decently effective, non-chemical preventive measure (as my flowerhorn won't allow any algae eaters or other fish in his tank).

2) Has anyone heard of any dangers associated with using similar type of UV filters? In fact on one YouTube unboxing video of the Aquael (which I saw after purchasing the unit), one poster was ranting about how dangerous these kind of UV lights are, and claiming that it killed his fish (and Chinese manufacturer wouldn't reply to his emails). He was claiming that the UV light used with cheap plastic can degrade the plastic over time, leaching toxic chemicals into the water. I have absolutely no idea about the veracity of his claims, which is why I'm posting the query here.

P.S. My Kamfa isn't dead; he's just doing a flip to show off for the camera (and try to get some food :)

Aquael Uni Filter 750 UV.jpg Drakaris Tank Internal Filter 2.jpg

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
We don't have that brand here in the USA. We have similar units. Can you get a sun-sun ? Either rate, make sure you get the correct size/flow rate unit otherwise it will be a waste of money...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store