Small types of knife fish for a 60 gallon

Nbiaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2017
I have a 60 gallon stocked with a gold sevrum a blood parrot a striped ,6 guppies a black ghost knife and a a zig zag eel I impulse bought the knife and zig zag knowing they would get to big a earlier today I am going to get rid of both soon and was wondering what types of knife fish could live in a 60 gallon

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
African knive fish will be a good fit, xenomystus nigri.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
He’s a bit biased. Be careful or Hendre Hendre may get a witch doctor to put the juju on you T thefredpit lol.

Reactions: justarn

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
lol yeah he already did that's why I have jane(named after tarzan's mate) my wc sengalus and he loves his african knives like I love my eels so I can't really fault him

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
African Brown Knives or Glass Knives come to mind.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Sorry about the BGK and zig zag. Those are both cool fish that are easy to find. Unfortunately too big for most people.

I am not sure if the parrot or severum will pick on them, but there are lots of knives that will work. The African brown was the first one I thought of like everyone else. I think it works the best with your stock as well. There is the other brown knife (Apteronotus leptorhynchus). Similar would be the knife with many names green/glass/transparent) (Eigenmannia virescens).

Ossa knives are very pretty, but lay around like they are dead. There are also thermometer knife fish. Pelican knives stay smaller, but are hard to find and expensive. Centipede knives are also cool. I just saw nebulosa knifes for the first time they look pretty cool and stay under 8 inches.

I am sure I am forgetting a lot. Outside of the two browns I am a little unsure how the rest will hold their own with the cichlids if they decide they want to pick on them.You are kind of in limbo on your stocking.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I had a salvini which loved chasing my African brown knives. Although predatory, knifefish aren't made to fight. I would be careful...

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
My afer is built to fight:) he is a bastard lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store