Smaller pima in 4500 gal, ~16"-18"

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Video update on the two arapaima. They are about the same size now 4.5'-5' and have been in the same 4500 gal tank for half a year.

After hurricane Irma (Sept 10, 2017) and the subsequent fasts and light feeding, Sima, 4' at the time, decided to start test-tasting all possible tank mates to supplement its enormous appetite. So off it had gone into the other 4500 gal to join Bima.

Bima (big pima, probably female) is a bit bigger in circumference than Sima (small pima, probably male):

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Absolutely amazing thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter ...
Beautiful cats too...

You have some fish in there that are small in comparison to the Arapaimas, is it ok,dont they eat them?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Absolutely amazing thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter ...
Beautiful cats too...

You have some fish in there that are small in comparison to the Arapaimas, is it ok,dont they eat them?
Thank you! The smallest fish in that tank are the Wallago leerii (by far most easy to swallow), Distichodus sexfasciatus, TSN, and TSNxLei hybrid. None of them are small enough for the arapaima to prey on. Arapaima cannot swallow giant prey, the way say an RTC can. They are designed to take small to medium prey.

The biggest RTCs could swallow the Wallago, which has been a source of uneasiness for me for a year. But so far, no one tried. Only pacu or the Distichodus might have taken a few bites out of its fins. It definitely helps that the Wallago resides off the bottom, usually swimming in one spot in water column (hence the nickname helicopter catfish).

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter ,

Thanks for taking the time (as always) to answer in such detail...

Its amazing... Looking at their (arapaima) size, I thought they would eat fairly large fish.

I know the RTCs will swallow almost everything... but I suppose keeping them well fed also helps in avoiding them eating their tank mates
Hahaha..I like the "helicopter catfish" nickname!!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter ,

Thanks for taking the time (as always) to answer in such detail...

Its amazing... Looking at their (arapaima) size, I thought they would eat fairly large fish.

I know the RTCs will swallow almost everything... but I suppose keeping them well fed also helps in avoiding them eating their tank mates
Hahaha..I like the "helicopter catfish" nickname!!
At the pimas' present size, they swallow easily 1'-1.5' torpedo shaped fish, like a mullet or a menhaden. I think they'd struggle with a 2' such fish but I am not about to test it. I am sure, if I starved them for 2 full weeks, they'd try their hand, or rather mouth, at the Wallago.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That video was the last time we were feeding two pimas.

One pima, we called small pima or affectionately Sima for short, is no more.

When I was wallowing in filth up to my chin while cleaning and vacuuming the 15,000 gal sump on October 5, 2018, Sima jumped out of its 4500 gal at some point. The sump is a noisy place (I didn't turn off the pumps) so I didn't hear it. Many fish freak out when the turbidity suddenly changes and the water goes from clear to a soup of detritus. Pimas are some of them. They don't like it.

The heavy duty plastic film cover and the spring clamps couldn't prevent Sima from bailing. They are like a steel-headed heavy torpedo. Need a heavy gauge net to stop them really and threaded C-clamps.

Anyhow, IDK how long it spent on the floor. Might have been 30 min or 2 hours. More likely the latter. When I got to it, it was not moving much at all and it was hot because the temp in the fishhouse was in the 90-ies that day. It didn't seem like it was even breathing but the gills were still wet or rather slimy. The slime on the body almost dried but just not quite.

I could barely lift it - it's like a slippery 60 pound, 5 feet long, noodle-like cylinder. Having dropped it two times, I finally managed to plop Sima back in the tank straining all I got. Long story short, it was a huge relief to see it was swimming and breathing and after a couple of days it was back to its own self, an insatiable feed hog.

One month passed by and nothing appeared wrong. Then, having fed in the usual vigorous manner one day, it refused to feed the next, which wasn't like it at all. They never refuse feed. The next morning the fish was swollen and reddish all over the body, eyes, fins, and it was over by the night fall. It went in two days.

The symptoms looked consistent with a very bad case of hemorrhaging septicemia. The swiftness is probably too. I can only presume that the jumping out and laying on the floor for 1-2 hours had been a huge shock to Sima and had dealt such a blow to its immune system that it eventually faltered.

The big pima, aka Bima, has jumped out twice. Once a year ago and I attributed it to a fluke. The second time, three days after Sima's jump. Hence, I figured it wasn't an accident anymore and I installed a rather strong nylon leaf netting over the 4500 gal. Both times we were around when Bima jumped out and were able to plop it back soon. It was a hard task even for the both of us, my wife and I.

Anyhow, here are the last shots of Sima at 3 years old or so (2.5 years with us), having gone from 6" to 5 feet exactly. It was probably a male because of slower initial growth, submissive nature with respect to Bima, and less color.

100_8278.JPG 100_8281.JPG 100_8282.JPG 100_8283.JPG 100_8284.JPG 100_8285.JPG 100_8286.JPG 100_8286-1.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store