Smallest Ray

concord

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2006
England
Ok I am desperatley trying to persuade my parent to get a BIG tank but they wont give an inch. But now I have found a weak spot they both love rays! whats the smalest 1 accesible and what is the min tank size?
And all other info too plz:)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have not kept them but I think the smallest is the hystrix and I think they get about 12" across. I would guess, and it is only a guess, that a tank 48"x 18"x17" (65g US/55g British Imperial) would be the absolute minimum. A 70g wide style would be much better (48"x 24"x 13", 70g US/58g BI). Hopefully someone like Rayman will chime in if this is wrong.

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Scobina are generally recognized as the smallest stingray. They rearely, if ever, get over 12" in diameter.

Histrix and magdalenae (retic) max out at the 14" mark. There are also several other species that may fall into the same size categories....orbignyi, etc.

You can grow out small rays in a tank as small as a 40 gallon breeder. People often use standard 75s and 90s.

As they reach maturity (10"+) any tank with a footprint of less than 6' x 2' is too small.

Colin

concord

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2006
England
hmmmm sounds good hopefully my mum will give up her table :ROFL:

bondo73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
livonia, mi
I have a small male magdalenae, I am interested in getting a female to add in. How well do they usually get allong? Is it a bad idea where the male will just knock the female around? Thanks

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Bondo73,

There are some good LFS in the Detroit metro area that will be able to provide you a healthy ray.

Males do have a tendency to be "bitey" especially as they reach sexual maturity. Females are generally larger than males of the same age and it would be a good idea to make sure that the female you purchase is larger than your male.

A guy I know on another board breeds retics (magdalenae). He is in Hillsdale. PM me if you want to know how to get in touch with him.

Good luck,

Colin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store