Smallest species ?

Exotic Aquatics LLC

Piranha
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Ive kept rays for years and ive sold many small rays.
I have rays over 10 yrs old and adult female marbles less than 10inches

The histryx i sold years past were larger than marbles i have now.

I have only had a few liters since as im not agressivly trying to breed as well as keeping my eye on bloodlines but i will update
I can second this.. I recently lost a wild caught trio of king royal marbles this year, I've had the male for 12 yrs and he measured 11 3/4". Females were 10". Never stunted, always had more then enough room and plenty of food. I too have seen wallacei over 14". However I think we can safely say the two both of these species are the smallest you can probably hope for.

Alexp08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
Hello, I'm new here and also looking into possibly getting a ray. What is the scientific name for the marble that have been referenced in the thread? And are they hardier than the retic?

Proximus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Norway
I have a Potamotrygon magdalenae male that is 8 inches. He is about 7 years old if i remember correctly.. And yes he has been healthy and well fed the entire time.

Reactions: SHARK13

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
Sounds like you have a nice line of mini marbles, did they originate from Aquaman45 (Richard?) I cannot remember.
No. I know aquaman but my rays were wild caught before i knew him.
I did trade my lovely hystrix with aquaman some years ago but we both have had losses since then.
The rays ive bred so far have only been from wild caught parents and their offspring and not related to any of aquamans.
I have recently purchased captive bred ray but that has not bred so far.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
Also my smallest ray is a female around 8" however her pattern is unstable most likely my own fault due to water changes etc.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
3 smallest fw ray species:

Wallacei (hystrix)
Scobina
Yepezi

Mini marbled motoro's are in the mix also but it is very hard to find true mini marbles.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Alexp08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
3 smallest fw ray species:

Wallacei (hystrix)
Scobina
Yepezi

Mini marbled motoro's are in the mix also but it is very hard to find true mini marbles.
I've never heard of "yepezi". Are they are to come by in the states?

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
They are hard to come by any where. To my knowledge no one is breeding them in US or Europe. Can't say for sure on Asia, but it's not a highly desirable species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store